[The Brazil Times nameplate] Overcast ~ 61°F  
High: 68°F ~ Low: 54°F
Friday, Apr. 29, 2016

Officials: Faulty wiring caused fire

Thursday, February 5, 2009

(Photo)
It took firefighters approximately one hour to put out a fire at 1024 N. Meridian St., Brazil, Wednesday. [Order this photo]
Officials with the Brazil City Fire Department have determined faulty wiring caused an electrical fire at a Brazil residence Wednesday evening.

BCFD Capt. Joe Bennett said firefighters were toned out to 1024 N. Meridian St., Brazil, at approximately 9:13 p.m., for a fire that appeared to start in the home's attic.

"It was electrical wiring," Bennett said. "The damage was contained to the back porch and the attic."

Officials with the fire department said the home is owned by Jack Batchelor.

At the time of the fire, a man, woman and two children were at the home. No one was injured, however.

Bennett said officials were told the breaker box at the home "kicked off" a couple times throughout the evening.

"They'd been having problems (all night)," Bennett said.

Bennett suggested the wiring coming out of the breaker box may have failed.

"It was just old wiring," Bennett said. "It finally broke down.

"It had been burning a while by the time we got the call. It got into the walls of the back porch and attic."

Bennett said firefighters were on scene until approximately 10:14 p.m. He added TransCare provided support in case someone was injured due to extreme cold conditions.

He said there was minimal damage to the home.

"They should be back in (the home) within a week," Bennett said.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: