Reader wants others to oppose FOCA
To the Editor:
My fellow Americans,
Your voice is needed now more than ever.
Please urge your federal elected officials to oppose FOCA or any similar measure and to retain laws against the federal funding and promotion of abortion.
FOCA, the "Freedom of Choice Act," would create a right to abortion the government could not limit and bring about a national abortion policy far worse than the U.S. Supreme Court's Roe V. Wade decision.
Abortion would become an entitlement the government must fund and promote.
* Elminate regulation that protects women from unsafe abortion clinics,
* Force taxpayers to fund abortion,
* Require all states to allow "partial birth" and other late-term abortions,
* Subject women to abortions by non-physicians,
* Violate the conscience right of nurses, doctors and hospitals, and
* Strip parents of their right to be involved in their minor daughter's abortion decision.
FOCA would impact state and local laws or regulations regarding abortion.
Abortion supporters have been trying to pass FOCA since 1989 and now we have a Congress more disposed that any in recent years to pass the bill and the new president has said he will sign the measure into law.
Tell Congress: Please pledge now to oppose FOCA.
Where to write:
* Brad Ellsworth, 513 Cannon House Office Building, Washington D.C., 20515,
* Evan Bayh, 131 Russell Senate Office Building, Washington D.C., 20510,
* Richard Lugar, 306 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington D.C., 20510, and
Where to call:
* U.S. Capital Switchboard, 1-202-224-3121.
Ask for the offices of your Representatives and Senators.