May is Older Americans Month, a time to celebrate people in our lives not only for their contributions to society, but to thank them for what they have meant and given to us as members of families, teachers, mentors, role models and friends. Some stories are funny and some are more serious, however, all of them reflect someone who has made a positive impression.
In recognition and honor of senior citizens in the Wabash Valley, Area 7 Agency on Aging and Disabled is sponsoring a "My Favorite Older Person," Essay Contest for students ages 10-15 who live in Clay, Parke, Putnam, Sullivan, Vermillion or Vigo counties. Awards and prizes will be given in three age categories: 10-11, 12-13, and 14-15. The first-place winners will receive a $30 gift card and second place will receive a $15 McDonald's gift card in each age group. A completed registration form must accompany each entry and only one entry is allowed per student.
The rules include:
* The person written about must be at least 60 years of age and be someone with whom you have or have had a personal relationship, i.e., grandparent, teacher, etc,
* The essay must show a feeling of a strong relationship between the writer and the older person,
* The essay can be no longer that two sheets of paper. Typed entries are preferred if at all possible but essays written in pen will be accepted. NOTE: Entries written in pencil or e-mailed will not be accepted, and
* Completed registration form must be mailed with entry.
The essays will be judged based on the following:
* Originality, ability to describe your feelings for the older person,
* Ability to write clearly and concisely, and
* Writing skills appropriate to grade level, grammar and spelling.
Entries must be received by Friday, May 8. Entries may be mailed to Favorite Older Person Essay Contest, 1718 Wabash Ave., Terre Haute, IN 47807 or dropped off between the hours of 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday.
Winner selection will be made by a panel of community judges, the winners and their "Favorite Older Person" will be recognized at the Area Day Senior Citizens Picnic in Brazil, May 22, in local newspapers in the counties in which they live and in Older Living (Area 7's monthly newspaper supplement).
For more information and/or registration form, call Patty Cannoy, Project Coordinator, Area 7 Agency on Aging and Disabled, at 812-238-1561 Ext. 242 or toll-free at 1-800-489-1561 Ext. 242, or by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.