[The Brazil Times nameplate] Mostly Cloudy ~ 72°F  
High: 72°F ~ Low: 50°F
Thursday, Apr. 28, 2016

Boil order still in effect

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Two water leaks caused officials in Brazil to shut down water services Wednesday.

But by Thursday morning, officials had turned the water back on.

"We're up and running," Brazil Mayor Ann Bradshaw told The Brazil Times Thursday morning.

A water leak in an 8-inch line near Chestnut and Warren streets was discovered Wednesday evening, forcing city officials to halt water service to customers in Brazil, Carbon, Center Point, Harmony and Knightsville.

The leak, according to city officials, was repaired sometime between 8-9 p.m., Wednesday evening.

A second leak was detected shortly after, but has also been repaired.

Brazil Water Repair Crew Supt. Dick Vanatti said the second leak was repaired around 2 a.m., Thursday.

"The (second leak) sprung a little bit after the first one," Vanatti said.

Vanatti told The Brazil Times Thursday morning a new, longer section of pipe was put in to combat the first leak.

"There wasn't that much of a difference," Vanatti said regarding the length of the pipe.

After both leaks were repaired, Vanatti told The Brazil Times officials had to turn on fire hydrants in the city to get all the air out of the lines.

"If you don't get all the air out of the lines, another leak could occur," he said. "You want to make sure all the air gets out."

Water pressure was back to normal at approximately 6 a.m., Thursday.

"It appears to be back to normal," Bradshaw said.

Brazil Water Superintendent Jake Raubuch said the tower was drained down to a height of three feet in the bowl of the tower to allow officials to repair the line.

"Typically, the normal measurement of the water in the bowl of the tower is 35.5 feet," Raubuch told The Brazil Times. "Some portions of town did completely lose water services while others had a loss in water pressure."

As a result of the two leaks and decrease in water pressure, city officials put water customers on a boil order until further notice.

Bradshaw said all local businesses were notified of the boil order thanks to a water service employee, who came into the office Wednesday night to contact businesses about the leak.

Bradshaw said the boil order could remain in effect through the weekend and may not be lifted until Monday.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: