A handful of students in the Clay Community School Corporation had an interesting ride to school Wednesday morning.
En route to pick up and drop off students, a CCSC filled up with smoke at approximately 7:30 a.m. near County Road 1350 North, east of Murphy Avenue.
However, within minutes, a possible fire was out and the students were on another bus, heading to school.
"It was just a wiring issue," CCSC Director of Transportation Frank Misner said. "Somehow, the wire got pinched. It wasn't anything serious."
Misner said after the bus began to fill up with smoke, the students and driver did exactly what they were supposed to do. He said the students exited the vehicle through the back door.
"The kids knew what to do," Misner said. "They were fine."
Misner said approximately 21 students were on the bus at the time of the incident.
Following the incident, another bus in the Carbon area picked the remaining students up, who were heading to Van Buren Elementary School, North Clay Middle School and Northview High School. The driver of the initial bus was given a spare vehicle to finish the route. Misner said the corporation has close to 12 extra buses.
To the best of his knowledge, Misner said this is the first time he was aware of an incident like this happening.
He added bus drivers go through training seminars every semester on what to do in case of fire.
"And we go through a safety meeting every year," he added.
No injuries were reported. It was estimated damages were approximately $150 and Misner said the bus could be fixed by the end of the day.