KNIGHTSVILLE -- A microwavable potato caused a bit of a scare for a local elderly woman Tuesday morning.
Just before 9 a.m., emergency responders were dispatched to the home of Alice Norris, 9942 Clay Street, Knightsville, for a fire.
"She was baking a potato in the microwave," Clay County Emergency Management Director Bryan Husband said. "She cooked it a little too long."
Husband arrived at the scene after Norris had been escorted out of the home by a neighbor.
Norris' neighbor, Billie Thompson, heard the smoke alarm go off in the home and immediately went to the house.
"She helped her out," Husband said.
Thompson said her bedroom faces the south side of Norris' home.
"I saw Alice standing in the living room," Thompson said, adding she rushed Norris out of the home, which had begun to fill up with smoke.
"She's a wonderful lady," Thompson continued. "I'm just a friend that loves her."
"All my neighbors are good," Norris said.
Also assisting at the scene was TransCare.