[The Brazil Times nameplate] Fair ~ 59°F  
High: 72°F ~ Low: 53°F
Thursday, May 5, 2016

Fire scare at local home

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

KNIGHTSVILLE -- A microwavable potato caused a bit of a scare for a local elderly woman Tuesday morning.

Just before 9 a.m., emergency responders were dispatched to the home of Alice Norris, 9942 Clay Street, Knightsville, for a fire.

"She was baking a potato in the microwave," Clay County Emergency Management Director Bryan Husband said. "She cooked it a little too long."

Husband arrived at the scene after Norris had been escorted out of the home by a neighbor.

Norris' neighbor, Billie Thompson, heard the smoke alarm go off in the home and immediately went to the house.

"She helped her out," Husband said.

Thompson said her bedroom faces the south side of Norris' home.

"I saw Alice standing in the living room," Thompson said, adding she rushed Norris out of the home, which had begun to fill up with smoke.

"She's a wonderful lady," Thompson continued. "I'm just a friend that loves her."

"All my neighbors are good," Norris said.

Also assisting at the scene was TransCare.


Comments
Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. If you feel that a comment is offensive, please Login or Create an account first, and then you will be able to flag a comment as objectionable. Please also note that those who post comments on thebraziltimes.com may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.

It is nice to know that there are still people who are there for the elderly and the handicap .

-- Posted by sexynana66 on Wed, Jun 24, 2009, at 11:13 AM

great job

-- Posted by 1dogbob on Wed, Jun 24, 2009, at 11:25 AM

This is a story with a great ending fortunate lady to have a neighbor so considerate, she should have a big picture of herself on the front page, just like the drug addicted, only as an example of caring, there really are some out there concerned with others.

-- Posted by Edward Kane on Wed, Jun 24, 2009, at 12:38 PM

I agree with Edward Kane. This paper and the website feature huge photos of bad people - criminals, drug addicts - and they are the exact wrong examples to glorify. This true good neighbor deserves a hug, a front-page phot and a free milkshake!

-- Posted by Don't Call Me Old on Wed, Jun 24, 2009, at 3:55 PM


Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: