[The Brazil Times nameplate] Fair ~ 53°F  
High: 58°F ~ Low: 43°F
Wednesday, May 4, 2016

House fire diverts traffic on U.S. 40 Sunday

Sunday, June 28, 2009

(Photo)
Firefighters finish putting out a fire at the home of Ed Sharton, 897 E. United States 40, Brazil, Sunday. [Order this photo]
Although no official cause has been identified, firefighters believe a fire that broke out in a home on United States 40 Sunday afternoon was caused by electrical problems.

"We haven't really investigated fully yet," Van Buren Volunteer Fire Department Chief Pete Taylor said, "but we're leaning toward electrical."

Firefighters were dispatched before noon Sunday afternoon to a fire at 897 E. U.S. 40, Brazil, in a home owned by Ed Sharton.

Sharton told The Brazil Times Sunday he was not at the home when the fire broke out. However, his family was at the home but escaped the house safely.

Sharton said earlier in the day, a breaker in the home would not reset properly.

Taylor said the fire was contained to a room above the home's attic. He added the dining room and kitchen contained water damage.

"The rest of the house seems to be in good shape," Taylor said. "They did a good job of stopping it."

Traffic on U.S. 40 was diverted temporarily as firefighters fought the blaze. Officials opened up the eastbound lane of U.S. 40, however, before 1 p.m.

Assisting at the scene included the Jackson Township Volunteer Fire Department, Dick Johnson Fire Department, TransCare and Clay County Search and Rescue.


Comments
Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. If you feel that a comment is offensive, please Login or Create an account first, and then you will be able to flag a comment as objectionable. Please also note that those who post comments on thebraziltimes.com may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.

I,m so sorry for you and you,re family. I had a house burn down years ago. The smell gets on everything. In a year it will be a memory.

-- Posted by rightwaygirl on Mon, Jun 29, 2009, at 7:44 AM


Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: