Members of the Clay County Health Department attended the H1N1 Fall 2009 Influenza update at French Lick in late July.
Members of local government were also invited to attend the meeting.
The purpose of the meeting was to receive updates from the Indiana State Department of Health regarding preparations for the H1N1 virus.
Health departments were informed by the Indiana State Department of Health that a vaccine is in production, but no definite date has been set as to when the vaccine will be ready or the specifics of how the vaccine will be dispensed to the public.
According to Clay County Health Department officials, the department continues to practice emergency preparedness through drills, such as the point of dispensing site drill which took place in July at North Clay Middle School.
Clay County also has a Pandemic plan in place.
Clay County Health Office Dr. S. Rahim Farid, M.D., reminded the community to continue to follow Centers of Disease Control recommendations to provide protection against influenza transmission, including:
* Wash hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use alcohol hand wash,
* Avoid touching your mouth, nose and eyes,
* Avoid close contact with others,
* Stay home if you are sick,
* Cover your mouth and nose with tissue when coughing or sneezing and discard tissue to waste basket after use,
* Practice other good health habits, such as getting plenty of sleep, being physically active, managing stress, drinking plenty of fluids and eating nutritious foods, and
* If you have flu symptoms, call a doctor and ask for guidance.