TERRE HAUTE -- The Terre Haute North Patriot cross country teams got a chance to celebrate a banner day at the Terre Haute Savings Bank State Preview Meet held on the LaVern Gibson Championship Course on Saturday.
The third-ranked boys' team won the meet ahead of perennial power Carmel and ahead of second-ranked Huntington North, which finished in fourth behind Franklin Central.
The Patriot boys saw John Mascari finish second overall in the meet to Indianapolis Cathedral's Hale O'Herren, who had a time of 15:30.7. Mascari's time of 15:34 would have placed him fourth in the state last year.
The Patriot girls' team was perhaps an even bigger surprise, coming into the meet boasting a No. 23 ranking, North finished only five points behind top-ranked Carmel, who was upset by fourth-ranked Fort Wayne Carroll.
Even more frightening for the Patriots' competition is that the team is led by a sophomore and three freshmen on the team.
Patriots' freshman Tapring Goatee battled heralded Culver Academy harrier, Waverly Neer, throughout the race and nearly overcame a late lead by Neer. However, Goatee collapsed near the end of the five-kilometer race and then had to regain her feet to finish second behind Neer's time of 18:23.
The day's races were broken up into Class 1A-2A and 3A scores and the Clay City boys' team fared quite well in the 1A meet, placing second to Barr-Reeve (50 to 81).
The course was quick on Saturday and the Eels took advantage of it and appeared to be in near, post-season shape.
Parker Modesitt was the Eels' top finisher, placing sixth overall in 17:17, a time that is 28 seconds faster than his sectional time on the same course last year. Modesitt was 14th in the sectional last season. Conner Modesitt ran an 18:09, 42 seconds better than the sectional, and placed 16th. In 24th was Jesse Vansickle in 18:37 and Ben Denker shaved more than a minute from his sectional time to place 28th in 19:03. Austin Sinders was 32nd with a time of 19:29, 30 seconds faster than last fall and Mark Grubbs placed 48th in 20:53. Wayne Tharp placed 55th followed by Landry Moss in 62nd and Adam Sumner was 76th.
The Northview boys' team was missing Patrick Durcholz in the lineup on Saturday, but Conor Strain was still the leading runner, placing 60th in 17:19 and Tanner Brown was 194th in 19:41. Ryan South placed 195th in 19:45, which was more than two and a half minutes better than his sectional time. Kyle Yocom placed 205th in 20:39 and Christian Swan was 208th.
The Northview girls team was led by sophomore Alyssa Conrad, who placed 73rd in 21:22 and Shelby Sands was 113th in 22:16. Corey Laue raced to a 141st place finish with Nicole Nelson in 151st and Tori Rohrabaugh in 186th. Eileen Stinnett and Maeghan Pilman finished 191st and 192nd.
The Clay City Eels got a 15th-place finish in the Class A race with a time of 25:01 with Kaleigh Decker in 26th, Ashley Sumner in 29th and Nutchay Thongthanee in 31st.
In the junior high meet, the North Clay Knights got an individual victory by Nic Yocom in 10:19 and a fifth-place by Ian Heffner to place fourth as a team behind South Knox (46), Honey Creek (51) and Woodrow Wilson (79). North Clay was fourth in the 10-team meet.
Yocom's winning time in the four-kilometer event was 10:19 with Heffner racing to a time of 11:05. Travis Beil was 17th in 12:03, Brendan Morris in 31st in 12:58 followed by Cameron Trout (34th), Josua Johnson in 37th and Gaidj Evans in 51st.
The North Clay girls finished third as a team with 104 points as Woodrow Wilson won with 36 points ahead of Honey Creek's 43 in the 11-team meet.
Emily Conrad finished fifth overall in 12:50 with Allie Dupin in 14th in 13:34 and Olivia Howald placed 29th in 14:47. Leeanna Knight was 34th, Kaysia Reberger was 36th and Brittany Fagg took 46th.
Clay City's cross country teams will compete at North Central against the Thunderbirds and Sullivan today at 4:30 p.m. and the Knights will race again on Saturday at the Brown County Invite.
Terre Haute Savings Bank State Preview
Boy's overall top-25 individuals
1. Hale O'Herren (Indianapolis Cathedral) 15:30.7, 2. John Mascari (Terre Haute North) 15:34.3, 3. James Martin (Carroll) 15:38.0, 4. Chris Walden (Carmel) 15:38.0, 5. Scott Vicenzi (Brownsburg) 15:48.0, 6. James Ricker (IC) 15:53.4, 7. Tom Ohman (Carmel) 15:54.2, 8. Jason Crist (Franklin Central) 15:55.8, 9. Alejandro Arroyo (Culver Academies) 15:57.3, 10. Jason Hoard (Brebeuf) 15:59.2, 11. Ross Ochs (Huntington North) 16:03.3, 12. Traishaun Johnson (Ben Davis) 16:05.8, 13. Tate Schienbein (Union County) 16:06.1, 14. Nolan Fife (Seymour) 16:11.4, 15. Brad Hess (Carr) 16:15.6, 16. Drew Gambill (Shakamak) 16:21.1, 17. Ahmad Aljobeh (Valparaiso) 16:21.3, 18. Josh Graham (HN) 16:22.0, 19. Milton Brinza (THN) 16:22.3, 20. Amanuel Medhane (BD) 16:28.2, 21. Clay Willis (Evansville Memorial) 16:28.8, 22. Griffin Brunk (Carm) 16:32.9, 23. Brian Depasse (THN) 16:33.9, 24. David Tucker (THN) 16:34.9, 25. Andrice Martin (FC) 16:37.9.
Class 3A boys team scores
Terre Haute North 76, Carmel 78, Franklin Central 155, Huntington North 159, Ben Davis 197, Indianapolis Cathedral 203, New Albany 219, Valparaiso 230, Hamilton Southeastern 236, Castle 247, Westfield 269, Carroll (Allen) 332, Plainfield 361, Brownsburg 394, Seymour 412, Roncalli 491, Southport 597, Evansville North 689, Northview 819.
60. Conor Strain 17:19.3, 194. Tanner Brown 19:41.4, 195. Ryan South 19:45.7, 205. Kyle Yocom 20:39.5, 208. Christian Swan 22:50.9.
Class 2A boys team scores
Evansville Memorial 46, Culver Academies 47, Franklin 49, Brebeuf 99, Mt. Vernon (Posey) 154, Greencastle 172, West Vigo 172, Danville 264, Vincennes Lincoln 322, Sullivan 373.
Class 1A boys team scores
Barr-Reeve 51, Clay City 80, North Vermillion 98, Clinton Prairie 118, North Knox 120, Home School Union 131, Park Tudor 151, Shakamak 165, Riverton Parke 199.
Clay City results
6. Parker Modesitt 17:17.5, 16. Conner Modesitt 18:09.6, 24. Jesse Vansickle 18:37.2, 28. Ben Denker 19:03.7, 32. Austin Sinders 19:29.6, 48. Mark Grubbs 20:53.0, 55. Wayne Tharp 22:10.7, 62. Landry Moss 23:31.5, 76. Adam Sumner 28:06.5.
Girls overall top-25 individuals
1. Waverly Neer (Culver Academies) 18:23.7, 2. Tapring Goatee (Terre Haute North) 18:38.9, 3. Brianna Johnson (Carroll) 18:45.2, 4. Chanli Mundy (THN) 18:55.0, 5. Brooke Morgan (Hamilton Southeastern) 18:57.9, 6. Ciersten Deardorf (Carr) 18:58.4, 7. Maddie Webster (Brownsburg) 19:02.2, 8. Sarah Bennett (Carmel) 19:03.4, 9. Autumn Beachy (DeKalb) 19:05.6, 10. Allison Jacobsen (Carm) 19:11.0, 11. Kaylee McClanahan (Carm) 19:14.8, 12. Tori Schoettmer (Center Grove) 19:16.4, 13. Aaliyah Evans (Ben Davis) 19:17.5, 14. Lacey Orth (Evansville North) 19:17.6, 15. Molly Winters (Brebeuf) 19:23.3, 16. Lauren Kahre (Carm) 19:24.0, 17. Sydney Lesko (B) 19:36.3, 18. Delainey Burnett (CG) 19:45.2, 19. Lindsey Brown (Carm) 19:50.4, 20. Paige Mason (Indianapolis Cathedral) 19:51.2, 21. Alexis Norris (Carr) 19:52.5, 22. Emily Cotterman (THN) 19:53.7, 23. Nicolette Crouch (Southport) 19:54.3, 24. Alexa McFadden (THN) 19:57.8, 25. Kelly Hodges (S) 19:59.0.
Class 3A team scores -- Carroll (Allen) 61, Carmel 81, Terre Haute North 86, Westfield 143, Center Grove 186, Brownsburg 193, Indianapolis Cathedral 207, Hamilton Southeastern 215, DeKalb 263, Southport 288, Evansville North 391, Ben Davis 397, Plainfield 418, Perry Meridian 446, Bedford North Lawrence 480, Northview 583, Castle 615, Seymour 718.
Northview -- 73. Alyssa Conrad 21:22.8, 113. Shelby Sands 22:16, 141. Corey Laue 23:06.4, 151. Nicole Nelson 23:24, 186. Tori Rohrabaugh 26:14.6, 191. Eileen Stinnett 26:59.7, 192. Meaghan Pilman 27:13.
Class 2A team scores -- Franklin 59, Brebeuf 69, Evansville Memorial 82, Culver Academies 90, Roncalli 93, Greencastle 146, Vincennes Lincoln 265, Sullivan 299, West Vigo 317.
Class 1A team scores -- North Vermillion 38, Shakamak 39, Clinton Prairie 45.
Clay City results
15. Tiffany Goodman, 25:01, 26. Kaleigh Decker, 29:11, 29. Ashley Sumner, 30:57, 31. Nutchay Thongthanee, 31:46