* The first National Breast Cancer Awareness Month program took place in October 1985 as a week-long event to "fill the information void in public communication about breast cancer." Brochures were distributed, interviews were conducted and testimony took place before a United States Congressional Committee,
* In 1993, Senior Corporate Vice President of the Estee Lauder Companies Evelyn Lauder founded the Breast Cancer Research Foundation and established the Pink Ribbon as its symbol,
* In 1991, the Susan G. Komen Foundation handed out Pink Ribbons to participants during its race in New York City for breast cancer survivors,
* In 1983, the Race for the Cure took place for the first time. More than 800 participants took part in the event, in Dallas, Texas,
* October was designated as Breast Cancer Awareness Month following this,
* Today, the NBCAM organization is composed of national public service organizations, professional medical associations and government agencies, and
* This is the 25th year of the NBCAM's existence.
In addition, the following is a list offered by the NBCAM for early detection of breast cancer:
* Any new, hard lump or thickening in any part of the breast,
* Change in breast size or shape,
* Dimpling or puckering of the skin,
* Swelling, redness or warmth that does not go away,
* Pain in one spot that does not vary with your monthly cycle,
* Pulling in of the nipple,
* Nipple discharge that starts suddenly and appears only in one breast, and
* An itchy, sore or scaling area on one nipple.