[The Brazil Times nameplate] Fair ~ 46°F  
High: 72°F ~ Low: 53°F
Friday, May 6, 2016

Brazil Buzz

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Our giant oaks and maples are nearly bare now. Only a few restless leaves remain. Soon they too will settle down for winter or will they? Could be, some die-hards will not want to land in my path.

Replacement parts for my ailing mower arrived! Yes, Paul and I put Humpty Dumpty back together again. My lawn equipment is up and running smoothly. The mulching blades are ready for action and so am I.

My ears ignored cross words and none lingered in their boney chambers.

We need several dry days to prepare for cold weather. There is much more to do, to and for the little blue house at the end of the road and hereabouts. It appears as if some stones will remain unturned. We cannot upset our tickers.

The oil tank received its first fill-up this week. The furnace is humming a happy tune.

The Amish Fireplace is in place, to supplement. It is already adding comfort and warmth, when needed. This will be the second heating season for the attractive unit.

Some are dissatisfied with their purchases and others are skeptical as to its efficiency and cost saving abilities. I have no complaints with my purchase.

We are thinking about another fireplace for the kitchen area.

Often, I think about the method my parents used to heat our humble home sweet home. Our old coal stoves still warm my heart today.

When I was growing up in the '40s and '50s a very important necessity in many homes and mine was the coal range and a heating stove designed either for the living room or parlor.

At our home, coal was the fuel of choice that warmed our three-room house then and until 1987, when a very hot fire destroyed the place of my birth. Dad had no choice, but to modernize.

I know little about the plain Jane cook stove that sat in the space, first, but when that handsome blonde beauty with polished chrome trim came along, it was love at first sight.

Thanks to my aunt and uncle, when they hauled her in, I felt right uptown with the Joneses. It was a blessing.

Even before the pipe was fit into its proper place, mother wiped away the handprints and rifled through the Hoosier cabinet and the little wooden dish cabinet, by the front door. She found a Hull sugar bowl and a pair of shaker that coordinated well with the cream enamel on the stove.

They look right at home lined up on the shelf above the nickel clad cooking surface of the shiny stove.

Even the stove pad that came with the package looked nice on our nearly new 9x12 linoleum that Dad purchased at Lynch Bros. Grocery.

Once the fellows placed the heavy stove, they connected new pipe to the back and flu.

Mother could see an invisible green flag placed before her eyes. She was happy as a kid at Christmas that day. The little songbird always sang when the mood was right.

We helped mother fill the reservoir that would keep a ready store of hot water for washing clothes and myriad of other uses.

All three of us worked ash, clinker detail and coal packing. Sometimes, we children stoked the hot coals and shook them down for her.

We learned fire safety early on. The Lynch kids planned to use that knowledge around the new stove and in the days that followed, we did.

Johnny and I knocked the slats out of an orange crate and broke them in halves with our, tough as nails knees and brought in buckets of coal and a night hunk. She loaded up our gift and warmed it well beyond the popping and crackling of the kindling. Water bubbled on the hot burners.

The kitchen and the adjoining bedroom felt as warm as toast on that late November afternoon, long ago now.

Around 4:30, Mother gave her new and used well-heated coal range its first assignments. Our favorite cook was in her element.

I know that because we started our outside chores after school around the same time.

Dad always liked supper on the table when he arrived home from work or hunting as close to six as possible.

She placed a large apple/raisin cake in the oven. On the bottom rack, she added several sizable sweet potatoes, jackets on.

Mom removed the lid of one of the front burners and placed a big well-seasoned iron skillet over the open flame.

Into the pork renderings, our cook placed cut-up pieces of floured and seasoned wild rabbits, enough for all of her tiny family. The little rabbit tamer laced the top of the meat with white onion, sliced thin. A dash of cinnamon enhanced the flavor. She added rich gravy to the menu.

Sides, stewed turnips, home canned whole kernel corn, and a 13x9 pan of corn bread with crackling gave the stove a test run too.

That evening we feasted on that fine fare, as if it was our last supper. My place at the table faced the stove. Sandra and I admired the stove as we ate, as did mom.

Uncle Lester and Aunt Ruth Lynch, no doubt, never knew just how much the stove and other considerations meant to my parents and their appreciative children. They truly were kind to others and to us.

If Lester and Ruth are viewing this from above, I hope I made them smile.

I can be reached by phone at 446-4852 or by email at pmlsartor@aol.com.