In a special session Thursday morning, the Clay County Commissioners voted 3-0 to maintain status quo by inking a deal with TransCare.
TransCare has provided ambulance service for the county since 2005.
Contact negotiations between the commissioners and TransCare began in November.
"This has been a long, drawn out contract negotiation," Commissioner Charlie Brown said Thursday prior to the vote.
After hashing out a few issues, the commissioners and TransCare came to a deal for five-year deal that will be renewable each year. The commissioners have the right to cancel the contract at the conclusion of each year.
"I think this is in the county's best interest," Commissioner's Attorney Eric Somheil said.
"(The issues) were really all minor," Brown said. "Response time was a big issue and we worked on that issue and got it resolved."
Brown said communication was also an issue that was taken care of as well. He said in the new contract, monthly meetings will take place regarding the service.
"This was taken very seriously," Brown said of the negotiations. "This was really important. Very few people complained about the service they received. That was positive."
Brown motioned to accept the contract, with Commissioner Jack Withers giving the second.
Representatives from TransCare were in attendance at Thursday's meeting.
Rural/Metro Ambulance, based in Indianapolis, had also submitted a quote for the contract.
In other business, the commissioners:
* Voted 3-0 in favor of paying an additional supplement regarding bridge inspections.
The commissioners have worked with engineering firm Clark Dietz -- formerly Farrer Garvey -- to conduct bridge inspections. According to the commissioners, money for the projects came from a federal grant filed through the state that eventually is filtered to the county. The county only has to pay 20 percent of the total cost (approximately $400). The remaining 80 percent is paid through the grant money,
* Voted unanimously for a vehicle lease renewal for the Clay County Sheriff's Department, and
* Extended its annual contract with Purdue University to provide Extension Coordinator agents at the Clay County 4-H Fairgrounds, by a 3-0 vote.
The commissioners meet regularly on the first Monday of each month in the Commissioner's Courtroom of the Clay County Courthouse. Their next meeting is scheduled for 9 a.m., Jan. 4, 2010.