WEST TERRE HAUTE -- Just in time for the annual celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, the recently renovated pipe organ will be put back into service this week in the Church of the Immaculate Conception at St. Mary-of-the-Woods.
The Casavant organ was installed in the church in 1953.
It features 1,700 pipes with a wide range of tones. The organ was first used Saturday, Nov. 28, 1953. It was blessed and dedicated Dec. 8, 1953. The organ features three keyboards. The pipes extending from the organ can be seen from the floor of the church.
Goulding and Wood, Inc., of Indianapolis, has been renovating the organ for several weeks. All of the pipe work was dismantled and rebuilt where necessary, and extensive releathering was done as needed.
The complete schedule of services for the Christmas season include:
* Thursday, Dec. 24 (Christmas Eve). The Sisters of Providence invite the community to a reflective prayer service, which includes scripture readings, instrumental carols, singing of carols and candle lighting, 7 p.m.,
* Friday, Dec. 25 (Christmas Day). Eucharistic Liturgy at 11 a.m., prelude of instrumental carols and singing, 10:45 a.m.,
* Sunday, Dec. 27, Feast of the Holy Family: Eucharistic Liturgy, 11 a.m.,
* Friday, Jan. 1, New Year's Day and Solemnity of the Blessed Virgin Mary; Eucharistic Liturgy, 11 a.m.,
* Sunday, Jan. 3, Solemnity of the Epiphany of the Lord: Eucharistic Liturgy at 11 a.m., and
* Sunday, Jan. 10, The Feast of the Baptism of the Lord: Eucharistic Liturgy, 11 a.m.