[The Brazil Times nameplate] Fair ~ 69°F  
High: 74°F ~ Low: 49°F
Friday, May 6, 2016

UPDATED: Family in need after fire

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Brazil City firefighters remove siding while fighting a trailer fire in Lake Brazilian Estates Tuesday. Ivy Jacobs Photo. [Order this photo]
A faulty space heater is believed to be the cause of a trailer fire, during which a family lost everything Tuesday afternoon.

Shortly before noon, members of Brazil City fire and police departments, Clay County Search and Rescue and TransCare were dispatched to Lake Brazilian Estates.

"We've lost everything," tenant Sara Sparks told The Brazil Times while watching firefighters. "I don't know what we're going to do."

Sparks said her family attempted to put the fire out, but the next thing they knew "the room was engulfed in flames."

According to Brazil City Fire Department officials, the trailer located at Lot 28 was a total loss.

Trailer park manager Chris Singer said neighboring trailers were evacuated for safety measures while firefighters fought the intense heat and thick black smoke of the trailer fire.

Assistant Fire Chief Roy Kellar said preliminary results of the investigation lean toward a faulty space heater in a bedroom causing the accidental fire.

"However, our main concern right now is getting help for the family," Kellar said. "They've lost everything, including their Christmas."

The Wabash Valley Chapter of the American Red Cross has been notified to help the family. Two official locations have been established locally for people to drop off donations to help the Sparks family.

Times General Manager Lynne Llewellyn said donations for the family may be dropped off at The Times office, 100 N. Meridian St. Brazil, until noon, Thursday.

"We're happy to help in times like this," Llewellyn said.

Members of Clay County Search and Rescue, located next to Walgreens, are also accepting donations. People can contact Assistant Chief T.J. Modesitt at 446-7000 (before 4 p.m.), Terry Eaglin at 605-2437, Derrick Eaglin at 605-2406, Rick Fisher at 239-5285 and Deanna Coleman at 230-9886 to make arrangements to drop off items.

The family needs clothing in the following sizes:

* Boy's toddler size 5 and size 3,

* Girl's infant size 24,

* Women's size 1 and size 4 pants, with size small and medium shirts, and

* Men's size 30X32 pants and medium shirts.

"People can call us and we will be happy to open the building for them," Modesitt said. "This is a special time of year, and I'm sure many people will want to help this family."

Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. If you feel that a comment is offensive, please Login or Create an account first, and then you will be able to flag a comment as objectionable. Please also note that those who post comments on thebraziltimes.com may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.

So sorry and how sad. Please list the furniture needed and dishes etc. Thank you.

-- Posted by Tracy Jones on Wed, Dec 23, 2009, at 10:59 PM

My parents are the managers of the park and live diagonal from the said trailer. I wasn't there when it happened, but came home and saw what was left of the trailer. It still gives me goosebumps to pass by because I can't imagine losing everything I own. Hoping the best for the family.. horrible that it happened so close to Christmas. Glad to see the community could come together and help this family out in their time of need.

-- Posted by Mroberts16 on Fri, Dec 25, 2009, at 4:55 PM

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: