Letter to the Editor

Housing program helps needy

Sunday, January 10, 2010

To the Editor:

USDA Rural Development is working to improve the quality of life for rural Hoosiers by ensuring they have the means for necessary home repairs through its Housing Programs.

The Section 504 Repair and Rehabilitation Loan and Grant Programs are available to very-low income residents who own and occupy their home, which is in need of repairs and is located in an eligible rural area, such as Clay and Sullivan counties.

Loan funds may be used to repair or modernize a home or to remove health and safety issues.

This is a 1 percent loan with a 20-year payback period and a maximum loan is $20,000.

The grants are available to homeowners 62-years-old or older, which do not have repayment ability and may be used for necessary repairs, remove health and safety hazards or make the dwelling handicapped accessible.

The maximum grant amount is $7,500 and may be combined with a Repair Loan.

To find out more, contact the USDA Rural Development, Bloomington Sub-Office, 1931 Liberty Dr., Bloomington, Ind., 47403, or call 812-334-4318, Ext. 4, or visit the website at www.rurdev.usda.gov.

Deb Boudreau,