The following is a list of individuals who filed an official declaration of candidacy with the Clay County Election Office between 1 p.m., Thursday, Feb. 11, and 1 p.m., Tuesday, Feb. 16, according to position:
* Cass Township Trustee -- Nancy J. Latham,
* Cass Precinct Committeeman -- Nancy J. Latham,
* Van Buren 3 Precinct Committeeman -- Wayne Lucas,
* Posey Township Trustee -- James A. Smith,
* Washington Precinct Committeeman -- Joe Broyles,
* Democratic State Convention Delegate -- Joe Broyles,
* Posey Township Board -- Mark David Adamson,
* Republican State Convention Delegate, Mark David Adamson and D. Mark Barnhart,
* Clay Community School Board of Trustees, At-Large -- Amy Burke Adams and Philip D. Greenwell,
* Sugar Ridge Township Trustee -- Amy A. Griffith, and
* Jackson Township Board -- Rick J. James.
Through 1 p.m., Tuesday, a total of 52 declarations of candidacy had been filed for local races through the Clay County Election Office. Those wanting to run for office in the May 4, 2010, Primary Election must do so my noon, Friday, Feb. 19. Withdrawals of candidacy declarations must be completed by noon, Monday, Feb. 22.
Also, no declarations of candidacy had been filed for the following positions:
* Cass Township Board (three open positions),
* Lewis Township Trustee,
* Lewis Township Board (three open positions),
* Perry Township Trustee,
* Sugar Ridge Township Board (three open positions),
* Van Buren Township Board (three open positions),
* Washington Township Trustee, and
* Washington Township Board (three open positions), and
* Committeemen for the following precincts -- Brazil 2, 4, 5 and 6, Dick Johnson, Harrison 2, Jackson 1 and 3, Lewis, Posey 1, 2 and 3, Sugar Ridge and Van Buren 1.
The Brazil Times also has plans to announce the candidacies of all running in county-wide and school board elections.
The deadline for prospective candidates is 5 p.m., Friday, Feb. 26, to contact The Times via telephone at 446-2216, Monday-Friday, from 8 a.m.-4 p.m., or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Those running may also fax at 812-446-0938, and candidates are encouraged to call the office to make sure the notice was received.
Editor's Note: Gary D. Rickert was inadvertently misidentified as a candidate for Brazil Township Board and Republican State Convention Delegate in the article titled "Several residents vying for elected positions," which appeared in the Feb. 12 edition of The Brazil Times.