A great taste, ready to go, easy to do, good for you. This one is worth a try.
You will need:
* 4-5 frozen boneless chicken breasts (or substitute 8-10 skinless thighs),
* 1 15-ounce can rinsed dark beans (black, black soy, light red kidney, pinto, cranberry),
* 1 15-ounce can of corn,
* 1 15-once can of your favorite salsa, and
* 1 8-ounce package of low-fat cream cheese to add at the end of cook time.
Place the frozen chicken breasts in the crockpot and add the rinsed beans, corn and salsa. Cook on high for about four-five hours until the chicken is cooked.
Add the low-fat cream cheese (all at once, or cut up) on top of the other ingredients and let it sit for about a half hour.
Serve as is, or on whole wheat pasta or whole grain rice.
Good things about this recipe in addition to the flavor include:
* Skinless chicken is second only to turkey in the "lean meats" category -- not counting grilled fish,
* Beans are great for helping to lower blood cholesterol, controlling blood sugar thus helping to reduce diabetes risk, they are good for heart health and helping to control inflammation.
Studies show increased fiber is also good for blood pressure and may indicate lowering the risk for colorectal cancer. (But remember to rinse beans.
It reduces flatulence in cooking dried beans and washes away some of the extra sodium you find in canned beans), and
* The whole wheat pasta is the second best of all grain choices except quinoa for overall nutrition.
Sources: Recipe adapted from www.recipezaar.com.
You can contact the local Purdue Extension Office by calling 812-829-5022 in Owen County or 448-9041 in Clay County for more information or for comments regarding this week's column topic.
There is an Indiana Extension Homemaker Club near you.
Purdue Extension is an affirmative action/equal opportunity institution.