Billie Creek Village Civil War Days recently announced the following speaker, Ronald L. Darrah, from the Indiana Genealogical Society, will present a one-hour session on "Family History and the Civil War."
The workshop is intended to help trace Civil War ancestors. Darrah is a member of the Indiana Genealogical Society. He is currently the chair of the Society of Civil War Families of Indiana. He also chairs the Grants Committee.
He is scheduled to speak Saturday, June 12, following the afternoon battle at Billie Creek Village Civil War Days.
He will be speaking at the Baptist Church. A time will be determined at a later date.
Darrah is a graduate of Kent State University, a former elementary school teacher, and a retired Indianapolis school administrator. He is also a retired member of the Indiana Air National Guard, Terre Haute, where he was a fighter crew chief.
Primary purposes of the Indiana Genealogical Society include:
* Fostering an interest in all peoples who contributed in any way to the establishment and perpetuation of the state of Indiana,
* Searching for the reasons and forces behind the migration of early settlers into the state of Indiana,
* Preserving and safeguarding manuscripts, books, cemeteries, and memorabilia relating to the early settlers into the state,
* Securing and holding copyrights, master copies and plates of books, periodicals, tracts and pamphlets of genealogical and historical interest to state residents,
* Publishing, printing, buying, selling and circulating literature regarding the purposes, records, acquisitions and discoveries of the society, and
* Aiding others in the publication and dissemination of materials pertaining to Indiana, including biography and family and local history.
The Society of Civil War Families of Indiana is a lineage society and affiliate of the Indiana Genealogical Society. IGS members who are direct descendants of any person who served in an Indiana Civil War Union military or naval unit, or was a resident of Indiana upon joining a non-Indiana Union unit, are eligible to apply for membership in the SCWFI.