Thursday, May 6, is the day to show support of the American Cancer Society and the upcoming 2010 Clay County Relay For Life event by "Painting the Town Purple."
Event organizers recently told The Brazil Times there are lots of fun ways to participate, including:
* Homeowners can decorate their homes or front yards with purple balloons, ribbons and homemade yard signs,
* Neighborhoods can tie purple ribbons around tress, utility poles and fences,
* Individuals can wear purple items like clothing, pins, wristbands, hats,
* Share "purple" e-mails with friends and family members about why fighting cancer is important,
* Motorists can tie purple ribbons on their vehicle antennas or door handles, and
* Businesses can create purple window displays.
Organizers hope a sea of purple floods Clay County, bringing the community together in awareness and in the fight against cancer.
Relay Chairperson Janice Piatt said the event, which is part of American Cancer Society Show Us Your Hope initiative, allows a person to support cancer survivors, honor those who lost the fight against cancer and show their resolve to end this terrible disease.
"We hope everyone will help us paint the town purple by wearing or displaying purple May 6," Piatt said.
The goal of this year's Relay is to raise $40,000 during the fundraiser, scheduled for May 22-23, at the Clay County YMCA. Although these are hard economic times, organizers are optimistic.
Individuals and businesses interested in participating or creating teams still have time to do so.
"The more the merrier," ACS Community Coordinator for Clay County Rachel Romas said. "Relay is a lot of fun. Our community can come together and unite for a great cause during Relay. We hope to see you there."
For more information about participating in the 2010 Clay County American Cancer Society Relay For Life, contact Event Chair Janice Piatt (812-442-9785) or Event Vice Chair Carrol Evans (812-442-0505) or log on http://www.relayforlife.org/claycountyin.