[The Brazil Times nameplate] Mostly Cloudy ~ 53°F  
High: 64°F ~ Low: 55°F
Thursday, May 5, 2016

History and Restoration Program set

Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Carolina Church and Cemetery History and Restoration Program is set to begin at 3 p.m., Sunday. Courtesy Photo.
The Carolina Church and Cemetery History and Restoration Program will take place Sunday.

Those interested in attending will learn about the history, preservation and restoration of the local landmark.

The educational program will be hosted by the Owen County Historical and Genealogical Society, and is scheduled to begin at 3 p.m.

The program is free and open to the public.

The church was established in 1833 and in the same year, Marady Lucas donated one acre of his farm for the building and cemetery.

The present church building was constructed in 1881 and retains its original features.

The guest speaker will be Deanna (Haltom) Collins. She will discuss the history of Carolina Church and the ongoing process of restoring the building and cemetery.

Old church minutes, photos and membership lists will be on display.

Collins is the vice president of the Board of Trustees and has been involved in the restoration project from the beginning.

The church is located in Morgan Township, Owen County, southeast of Jordan Village on Atkinsonville Road. The church can be reached by taking State Road 42 and turning south onto Owl Hollow Road. Upon arriving at the "T," of Owl Hollow and Atkinsville roads in Jordan Villege, turn east (left) onto Atkinsonville Road and continue until arriving at the church.

The program is jointly sponsored by OCHGS and the Carolina Church and Cemetery Board of Trustees. Refreshments will be served.

For further information, call Jason Kinney at 812-829-9810 or Collins at 812-829-2971.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: