[The Brazil Times nameplate] Overcast ~ 64°F  
High: 64°F ~ Low: 48°F
Saturday, Apr. 30, 2016

FSA issues reminder to report acreage

Thursday, May 20, 2010

INDIANAPOLIS -- USDA Farm Service Agency (FSA) in Indiana Executive Director Julia A. Wickard recently announced a reminder for producers to submit their annual report of acreage to their local FSA county office to meet FSA program eligibility requirements.

"Producers must file their reports accurately and timely for all crops and land uses, including prevented and failed acreage, to ensure they receive the maximum FSA program benefits possible," Wickard said. "FSA's employees stand ready to assist producers during the busy spring season."

Accurate acreage reports are necessary to determine and maintain eligibility for various programs, such as the Direct and Counter-cyclical Program and newer programs authorized in the 2008 Farm Bill.

Programs include the Supplemental Revenue Assistance Program (SURE), Average Crop Revenue Election Program (ACRE), Livestock Forage Disaster Program (LFP), Tree Assistance Program (TAP), and Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees, and Farm Raised Fish Program (ELAP).

Acreage reports are considered timely filed when completed by the applicable final crop reporting deadline. General crop reporting deadlines for Indiana are:

* May 31 -- Fall and spring seeded small grains in Southern Indiana,

* July 15 -- Spring seeded crops and CRP for entire state, and

* July 15 -- Fall and spring seeded grains in Northern Indiana.

Prevented acreage must be reported within 15 calendar days after the final planting date. Failed acreage must be reported before the disposition of the crop. Producers should contact their county FSA office if they are uncertain about reporting deadlines.

Late-filed provisions may be available to producers who are unable to meet the reporting deadline as required. Reports filed after the established deadline must meet certain requirements to be accepted and may be charged late fees. Producers should visit their county FSA office to complete acreage reporting. For questions on this or any FSA program, including specific crop reporting deadlines and plantings dates, producers should contact their county FSA officer.

More information on FSA programs may be accessed at www.fsa.usda.gov.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: