To the Editor:
This is some info from the old days, circa 1958:
* Eisenhower sends troops to Lebanon,
* Khrushchev in as Soviet Premier, Bulganin out,
* Castros Guerrillas launch offensive in Cuba,
* Venezuela imposes restrictions on U.S. oil companies,
* Elvis Presley inducted in Army,
* Governor Faubus shuts Little Rock schools,
* NASA is founded,
* Music from 1958 -- "Gigi," "Witch Doctor," "Purple People Eater," and "The Chipmunk Song,"
* Winner Indianapolis 500 -- Jimmy Bryan, sponsored by Mobile Gas and Oil,
*President Dwight Eisenhower, Vice President Richard Nixon,
* Inventions -- Barbie Doll, Hula Hoop, Laser, and
* Miss America -- Marilyn Van Berbur, Denver, Colo.
More from 1958 and other years next time.
But before I sign off, I wanted to tell you that (a publishing company and I) have settled our differences.
In fact, they told me if I wanted to, or if I was still interested in buying the book with my poem in it, I could do it through the mail, and not worry about the Internet, but the price is a little high, so I told them I would have to think it over a long time.
Now they talk like they want me to write another one.
I may not have won first-, second- or third-place, but at least my poem, "God Is Love," was published.
Here's a few titles from first-, second and third-place by other people: First-place "Darkroom;" Second-place "Infinite Occasion;" Third-place "Lying There in the Dirt," "White Horse," "The Memory Quilt," "The Planting Place," etc.
This is all for now. Until next time, take care and be fair.