Vigo County will host a Going Local Food Fair, Thursday, Sept. 9.
The fair will take place in the Floriculture Building at the Wabash Valley Fairgrounds, from 5-7 p.m. It is free and open to the public.
Going Local Week is Sept. 5-11, 2010, at the Going Local Food Fair will take place in conjunction with the state program. The challenge to Indiana citizens is to eat at least one Indiana locally grown or produced food at each meal during the week. The Going Local Food Fair will help identify some of the Wabash Valley's local food producers. Each Wabash Valley resident may participate by:
* Do some of your weekly shopping at the local Farmer's Market (9th and Cherry streets, Terre Haute, Saturdays through October, 9 a.m.-noon),
* Visit an orchard or U-Pick and harvest your own produce,
* Ask your local market if they sell locally grown food. Find restaurants that do the same. Support these establishments,
* Take a farm tour in your area,
* Take a cooking or food preservation class that features local foods,
* Research special foods that may be local to your area and seek them out, and
* Encourage others to join you in this effort during Going Local Week. Host a pitch-in picnic and ask everyone to bring something made with local ingredients.
To find other Going Local events in the state, visit www.goinglocal-info.com. For more information about the Going Local Fair, contact Jim Luzar (812-236-6039), or Deanna Franklin (812-236-6067). Either of these individuals may also be reached at the Vigo County Extension Office at 812-462-3371.