Officials were dispatched to 718 N. Walnut St., Brazil, shortly after 2:30 p.m.
Upon arrival, firefighters not only battled the fire, but also the blazing heat. Temperature readings through the city of Brazil Wednesday topped 100-degrees.
Brazil City Fire Dept. Capt. Joe Bennett determined an electrical box could have been the cause of the fire, speculating the fire started at the box meter base and worked its way up inside the home walls.
"When it got in the attic, it was all through," Bennett told The Brazil Times. "It got a good head start on us."
The occupants of the home, LeRoy Simmons and Eugenia Dixon, along with two children, were in the home when the fire started. However, they all were out when the fire department arrived.
In addition, the family had two dogs and a cat they rescued from the fire as well.
As firefighters battled the blaze, the roof began to cave in, forcing all personnel away from the home.
Due to the heat, officials with BCFD requested additional manpower from several agencies, including some outside of Clay County.
Additional agencies responding to the fire included the Brazil City Police Department, TransCare, the Center Point Township Volunteer Fire Department, Clay County Sheriff's Department, Van Buren Volunteer Township Fire Department, Posey Volunteer Township Fire Department, Reelsville Fire Department, Seelyville Fire Department, Jackson Township Volunteer Fire Department, Riley Fire Department, Evans Township Fire Department (Vigo County), Clay County Search and Rescue, Perry Township/Cory Volunteer Fire Department, Otter Creek Fire Department (Vigo County), and Dick Johnson Volunteer Township Fire Department.
Bennett said additional support came from the Putnamville Correctional Facility.