The June and July meetings for the Harmony United Methodist Women will be combined into one report. The ladies met for a short meeting in the Senior Sunday School Room on June 28, 2010.
President Sheila Termeer opened with prayer. Secretary Gail Roach distributed the minutes. Treasurer Carolyn Kumpf reported that we had a balance of $1,094.49. She had given a check to David Brinson for the church in the amount of $100. Carolyn officially resigned her position due to Pastor Bob's transfer to the Center Point/Ashboro UMC's. She will be missed.
A sign-up sheet was passed through the group to prepare for the 4th of July Breakfast for our new pastor, Terry Jeffers. As a result, Judy Maurer made her Grandma Pell's recipe for homemade pancakes and syrup. Dan Pell furnished donuts. Rosie Pell, Suzanne Neier, and Gail Roach prepared breakfast casseroles. Juice, coffee, and fruit were also available.
Sheila and her mother, Mayme Cox, planned to do the hostess and lesson for July. Sheila has contacted Jennifer Chamberlain to try to arrange a time when Jennifer can talk to us about Serving On the Streets.
Everyone moved into Fellowship Hall and joined other ladies preparing for a bridal shower for Alicia May and Conor McCoy. The couple was married on Saturday, July 10.
Judy Maurer and Suzy Morgan were in charge of organizing the shower. Carolyn Kumpf arranged for the cake. Gail Roach did the decorations.
HUMW held their regular monthly meeting in Fellowship Hall on July 26. Sheila opened with prayer and read from the Prayer Calendar. We looked through Carolyn's notes and made a group treasurer's report. We need to ask Barbara Pell if she will take the position of treasurer. Gail was missing her notebook so the secretary's report will delayed until the next meeting.
The group voted to help support Operation Classroom. We will pay the $100 to sponsor a child (for school) and collect supplies to send for other students. Boxes have been placed in Fellowship Hall for donations. Pastor Terry Jeffers printed out a copy of the school needs. These were available on Sunday morning. Pastor Jeffers will transport the boxes to Breden UMC for packing in October.
The group welcomed its newest member, Becky Jeffers. We hope she will be with us for a long time.
Mayme Cox and Sheila Termeer provided a wonderful supper that included cocktail wienies, ham and egg salad sandwiches, fruit jello, and other goodies. The tables were decorated in a patriotic theme to continue the celebration of the 4th of July. Mayme had a game where each of us had to find how many times the one appeared on a dollar bill. She presented the winner with a pretty patriotic bag of goodies.
Becky and Gail won the door prizes. Each was given a patriotic bag of summer items: red, white and blue clips and hooks, patriotic towel, drinks, fan, and a flyswatter.
A possible raffle for the Fish Fry was discussed. It was decided that we would ask donations from merchants. They get many requests but they would probably help us with items for a fundraiser. We want to keep a record so that each can be thanked for their support.
Several items were briefly discussed including the Red Bird Mission, a spring yard sale, and hoping to have Jennifer Chamberlain to talk about SOS at the next meeting. Gail reported that she had sent pictures to District President Nancy Barnett for the July meeting in Indianapolis.
Rose Marie Pell will be the hostess for the August meeting to be held at the church. Gail will host the September meeting at her house. It will be the annual Green Meeting to emphasize taking care of the planet God has given us. Rosie will do the Pledge Service at the September meeting.
Items for discussion at the next meeting will include: Yard Sale, Missions (SOS?), possible raffle at the Fish Fry in November, and continuing to work on Operation Classroom.
HUMW's across the country are concentrating on structures that house missions this year. We will discuss what we might be able to do to help with this mission or if we can extend ourselves to another activity with our small group.
1. A Welcome Breakfast was held for Pastor Terry Jeffers and his family on Sunday morning July 4th. Several folks prepared food or brought other items for a tasty meal.
2. Sunday at the Fairgrounds was held on Sunday, July 18. Seven Methodist Churches and many guests were in attendance.
3. Amy Morgan and Cody Tucker were married on August 14, 2010.
1. Save the planet: Green Meeting at Gail's home on Monday, Sept. 27. We will plan to use no paper or plastic. Covered dishes or desserts would be appreciated. Gail will furnish the meat, a vegetable, and a dessert. We will try to cook foods that are grown in our state. Promoting foods, that don't have to be trucked into the state, saves fuel. Avoiding paper and plastic helps save us from the mountains of trash accumulated every year. Be good to the planet God has given us.
2. October meeting: Opal Schopmeyer will be the hostess and Gail will do the lesson.
3. Kathy White sent us info on two upcoming district meetings: Fall Gathering at Crawfordsville on Sept.11 and the Annual Fall Celebration at Indianapolis on Oct. 8-9. Both meetings ask participants to bring items for donations for families in need. The September meeting asks for powdered milk, tee shirts, and shoes. For October, two have specific requirements for international transportation: Health Kits and Birthing Kits (Contact Sheila or Gail for a kit list).