[The Brazil Times nameplate] Mostly Cloudy ~ 53°F  
High: 58°F ~ Low: 45°F
Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Fire guts trailer, firefighter injured

Thursday, September 2, 2010

(Photo)
An early morning fire Thursday gutted this trailer located on County Road 475 West on the Clay/Greene county line.
LEWIS TOWNSHIP -- A family was displaced and an undisclosed local firefighter was injured during a trailer fire early Thursday morning.

Around 3:45 a.m., Greene County 911 dispatchers were notified about a residential structure fire near the Clay/Greene County line. The call was transferred to Clay County E911 operators who dispatched Lewis Township Volunteer Fire Department to a trailer, located on South County Road 475 West.

Because the location of the fire was close to the county line, Greene County dispatched Jasonville Fire Department to assist. Wright Township Volunteer Fire Department was contacted for assistance with a tanker and manpower.

According to officials, members of the first units to arrive discovered the fire had burned through the roof of the trailer addition and flames were coming out of the front door of the home.

All of the occupants were able to get out of the structure before the fire departments arrived, the owner advised he heard what sounded like electrical arcing and saw fire going up the wall when he looked into the room.

"The firefighters entered the front door and was pushing it out the back within minutes of our arrival," Lewis Fire Chief Bryan Husband said in a press release. "Once inside, one of the firefighters had to stand up to get through an area. When he moved around, he stepped on an object that moved and the firefighter rolled over on his ankle and fell."

All the firefighters cleared the structure and were checked out by TransCare and Greene County Ambulance at the scene.

"They did a good job of knocking it down initially, but (the fire) had too much of a head start for us to save very much of the home," Husband said. "The firefighter suffered a bad sprain and one of the occupants was checked for smoke inhalation at the scene, but no one was transported."

Husband confirmed the American Red Cross has been contacted and will be assisting the unidentified family who lost everything inside the structure.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: