According to Posey Township Volunteer Fire Department Chief Larry Tempel, firefighters were dispatched to John Whitted's residence at 204 Lincoln Street shortly after 12:30 a.m., Thursday.
Although it took approximately 30 minutes to put the intense flames out in the kitchen area of the modular home, Tempel said firefighters stayed on the scene for several more hours to ensure there were no hot spots in the insulation and the surrounding area didn't catch fire.
"The dry conditions are really bad right now," Tempel said. "There were several large plants and trees close to the home and a field across the road, so we were concerned about making sure the fire didn't spread. It didn't."
However, E911 dispatchers sent firefighters back to the scene at 8:30 a.m., when a caller reported seeing smoke coming from under the eaves of the home. After 30 minutes of checking for more hot spots, the firefighters left.
No injuries were reported during either incident.
Because of the extensive smoke, fire and water damage, Tempel said the home is considered a complete loss and most of Whitted's possessions were damaged or destroyed.
Tempel confirmed the American Red Cross has been contacted to assist Whitted.
"People really need to be aware of the burn ban and not attempt to light any fires right now," Tempel told The Brazil Times. "It wouldn't take much for a fire to get quickly out of control."