Items that may be donated to show appreciation for the veterans service and sacrifice include full-size hygiene items like soap, shampoo, disposable razors, toothpaste, toothbrushes, shaving cream deodorant, white cotton socks, new packaged plain t-shirts, sweatpants and lounge pants for men and women. The sizes needed are large-3X.
"The donated items will help veterans and their families stretch their money at the grocery store, and the savings can go toward other necessary expenses," Totes for Hope Coordinator Mary Beth Jensen said. "Some young veterans have families, and due to injuries, they are not able to work so every little bit helps. Wabash Valley American Red Cross volunteers, and I visit the VA Clinic three times a week, providing a canteen service for them while they wait to see the provider. This gives us an opportunity to visit with the veterans and take their mind off their injuries for a while."
The donated items will be collected sorted and put into American Red Cross tote bags to be given to the veterans shortly after Veterans Day.
"This is a way for the citizens of the Wabash Valley and service groups to get involved and show their gratitude for veterans service and sacrifice to our country," Jensen said.
Gurman Containers has generously donated barrels to be placed at designated locations for the public to drop off the requested new items
Drop-off locations and hours are:
* Nov. 8-10 -- Clay County Courthouse, Room 104B, 8a.m.-4 p.m., Monday and Tuesday, and 8-11:30 a.m., Wednesday,
* Nov. 8-12 -- American Red Cross Wabash Valley Chapter, 700 S. Third St., Terre Haute, 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m.,
* Vigo County Annes, 163 Oak St., Terre Haute, in the Veterans Assistance Office, 8 a.m.-noon, and 1-4 p.m.,
* Indiana State University Center for Community Engagement, Tirey Hall 134A, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.,
* Nov. 9, Walmart, 5555 S. US Hwy. 41, Terre Haute, 11 a.m.-5 p.m., and
* Nov. 11 -- Baesler's Market, 2900 Poplar St., Terre Haute, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
For more information, contact the American Red Cross at 812-232-3393 Ext. 12, or firstname.lastname@example.org.