[The Brazil Times nameplate] Overcast ~ 57°F  
High: 64°F ~ Low: 41°F
Tuesday, May 3, 2016

He rules the home

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Here is James David Miller-Moon trying to take a hunk out of my nose.
He came a little earlier than expected.

Sort of.

Merry and I traveled to Union Hospital in Terre Haute early the morning of Friday, Oct. 15.

While we both hoped to meet our new child that day, we both had unsure feelings as to how long we would be staying at the hospital.

As it turns out, the stay was short.

In my column Monday, Oct. 18, I informed all of you that James David Miller-Moon was born Oct. 15.

He arrived in this world at 10:35 a.m., that morning.

As far as the stay in the hospital, Merry and James were there until Sunday afternoon.

We arrived home that day and only missed a little bit of football action.

It was as if the little tyke knew we love watching our Sunday football.

James David is actually a really good baby. Mind you, I haven't spent a lot of time around little ones, but he rarely fusses. In fact, he only cries when he wants to eat.

And he eats a lot!

James loves to be held. Often. If you try to place him in his crib while he is still awake, he'll let you know that is not acceptable.

So, he spends a lot of time with us in the family room, watching whatever is on the television.

We managed to get him out Friday, Oct. 22, for a trip to the doctor.

According to our pediatrician, all is well.

Everyone I know has told me these first few days are relatively easy.

For me, perhaps. For Merry, not so.

Merry is not as heavy a sleeper as I am. I have been told I could sleep through a hurricane.

Anyway, she wakes up at the slightest movement from James.

Me on the other hand? Let's just say I've missed a few of those 2 a.m., feedings.

But I have been successful at changing my first-ever diapers, which was pleasing.

While Merry has spent the better part of her nights and evenings feeding James, I have been taking care of our home.

I've also spent a lot of time in the past few days trying to explain to our two dogs what is going on.

They have felt the changes too.

Both dogs were used to waking up to eat breakfast around 5-6 a.m.

Now, it's 4 a.m.

Their entire schedule has been turned upside down.

They are not exactly happy about it, but I have done everything I can to let them know they are still part of the family. They're just not the youngest members anymore.

I think they're figuring it out.

I hope to share with you plenty of stories of James, like his first steps, his first words, and more.

And both Merry and I want to continue to express our sincerest thanks to all of you for everything you have done. We are grateful.