[The Brazil Times nameplate] Overcast ~ 66°F  
High: 78°F ~ Low: 62°F
Thursday, July 2, 2015

Field Fire

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Once again Clay County firefighters found themselves battling numerous brush fires Wednesday afternoon. Around 2 p.m., the mayhem started when a trash fire accidentally set fire to a field near a residence on the west side of the north Clay/Putnam County Line/ County Road 500 East. While members of Van Buren Volunteer Fire Department, with water assistance from Dick Johnson, Reelsville/Washington Township and Greencastle Fire Department, battled that blaze, various fire departments were also dispatched to reports of other fires around the area, including Center Point, Cory, Jackson, Bowling Green and Poland. A countywide burn ban remains in effect until Nov. 16.


Comments
Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. If you feel that a comment is offensive, please Login or Create an account first, and then you will be able to flag a comment as objectionable. Please also note that those who post comments on thebraziltimes.com may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.

Once again... and again... and again. "A trash fire accidentally set fire to a field". One key fact missing from this article is that burning trash is ILLEGAL in Indiana. If the County would start enforcing the state laws regarding trash burning (levy fines and/or make the offenders reimburse the fire department for their expenses), this might not happen as often.

But, to be fair to the person burning the trash, the "burn ban" as stated in the paper allowed it. "The ordinance allows for burning in barrels where it is authorized, with the condition that each such barrel must have a 1/4-inch mesh top; and burning in such barrel will be authorized from dawn to dusk only."

The law is easy to find, http://www.in.gov/idem/4549.htm - maybe Clay County should start obeying it.

-- Posted by localgal on Thu, Nov 11, 2010, at 12:30 AM

AGREED!! Some mornings the smell from burning plastic is quite evident in our yard from neighbors burning....Some actually do this trash burning right in their fireplaces I think to avoid the burning ban....Wonder what air quality is like inside their house??

Yesterday around 2 PM I saw a fire burning in a back yard on SR 42...Black smoke billowing. so not only were they not regarding the burn ban [it was not a barrel], they were burning some sort of petroleum product. when I returned a little before 4 PM, person was out there putting it out so it was burning for 2 hours.

We need some guidance here. Will law enforcement go out and start fining people if these are reported or are they too busy with meth labs?? These fires are spending down our assets whenever fire dept is called out. Not to mention the loss of property itself if structures burn.

Almost all that is burned in barrels even is recyclable. No excuse for continuing the practice. Period. It costs nothing to recycle and is our duty as stewards of this planet. God didn't give it to us to ruin.

-- Posted by Jenny Moore on Thu, Nov 11, 2010, at 7:41 AM

During the Covered Bridge Festival we saw a small fire in the grass at the side of the road (Rosedale Rd near Devonald). We put it out but called 911 to have the fire dept come to make certain that it would not reignite. We waited till one volunteer showed up and then we left. As we were travelling down Devonald we saw another volunteer(blue light flashing) approach & saw the driver toss his lit cigarette out the window. The burn ban was in effect at thtat time and that is how the original fire probably started. HELLOOO - let's stop tossing those lit cigarettes out the window!

-- Posted by indianamama on Thu, Nov 11, 2010, at 11:55 AM

The local fire departments need to educate themselves with the language written into the Clay County Burn ordinance. Some types of fires are allowed, most however are not. The ordinance does allow the responding fire department to recoup any expenses incurred from the home owner; all that has to be done is to submit the information to the county attorney. At that time it is the counties responsibility to impose the fine and reimburse the departments. Maybe if this was happening it would make the offenders think twice before breaking the law. I would guess a department could easily present a bill for equipment, fuel, wear and tear, not to mention man hours that would amount into the hundreds of dollars range. I strongly suggest that all fire departments in Clay County start utilizing this section of the burn ban. With the weather forecasters not predicting any accumulating rain in the near future the Burn Ban should be extended into December.

-- Posted by lucky on Thu, Nov 11, 2010, at 3:49 PM


Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: