[The Brazil Times nameplate] Fair ~ 46°F  
High: 72°F ~ Low: 53°F
Friday, May 6, 2016

Weather could turn ugly for Christmas Day

Monday, December 20, 2010

(Photo)
David Wire
Those with travel plans for Christmas Saturday should take note of possible bad weather heading this way.

On Monday, WTHI News 10 Meteorologist David Wire told The Brazil Times a low-pressure system currently forming in the Pacific Ocean could cause travel problems this weekend.

"It's too early to make snowfall (predictions)," Wire said. "But the temperature structures are such that this could be a large winter storm that could give us a significant amount."

Wire said he would know more regarding the system as the week progresses.

"Nothing is ever concrete more than two-three days out," he said. "There are so many variables that could come into play. Usually it's a game-time decision as to most times what is going to happen."

He said the system in the Pacific is being tracked right now.

"We'll get a better look at this system (today)," Wire said. "Right now, this is just a forecast."

However, he said there was a 60 percent chance of snow for Friday, a 40 percent chance on Christmas Day and a 30 percent chance Sunday.

"Based on the latest computer models, this area of low pressure looks to strengthen and be directly overhead this weekend," Wire said. "But it's just too early to tell.

"It's not too early to say if you're going to travel, you better count on extra time where you need to go."

Regarding the weather for today, Wire said drier air is expected, which would take the snow away and cause rain.

He said temperatures aren't expected to get warmer or colder as a result, but freezing rain could be expected.

"Every system is different," Wire said. "It's like your kids. Each child is different."


Comments
Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. If you feel that a comment is offensive, please Login or Create an account first, and then you will be able to flag a comment as objectionable. Please also note that those who post comments on thebraziltimes.com may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.

If we get heavy snow, there just might not be any school on Thursday or Friday... oh, wait...

-- Posted by JHeffner on Mon, Dec 20, 2010, at 10:16 PM


Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: