Letter to the Editor

Families in need can apply for energy assistance

Sunday, February 6, 2011

To the Editor:

This winter has been particularly cold and harsh on everyone in Clay County.

It has been even harder on our families with low income.

Fortunately, Indiana has an Energy Assistance Program (EAP) available to our community.

It is managed by the Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority.

This assistance can be used to pay gas or electric bills.

If your family needs help paying utility bills during these winter months, apply to this program and see if you qualify for assistance.

To qualify, a household's annual income cannot exceed 150 percent of the poverty guidelines. In 2009-10, the poverty guideline for one person was $10,830, family of two was $14,570, family of three was $18,310, family of four was $22,050, family of five was $25,790, family of six was $29,530, family of seven was $33,270, and family of eight was $37,010.

If your family has more than eight members, add $3,740 for each additional person to figure out the guideline for your household.

To apply, contact the EAP Weatherization Office located at 20 N. Sherman St., Brazil, or phone the office at 443-0122.

When you apply, you will be required to present proof of a Social Security Number (SSN) for all persons over the age of 1. A SSN may be verified with a Social Security card, benefit letter, pay stub, or other federal documents. Be sure to bring that proof to the EAP Office if you go there in person.

For more information regarding Indiana's Energy Assistance Program or Weatherization Assistance Program, go online at www.in.gov/ihcda/2523.htm.

Take care of each other. Stay safe and stay warm this winter.


Amy Adams,