Pool to open June 7
* Graffiti on building to be painted over
At its May meeting Tuesday, Brazil City Parks Board announced the Forest Park Pool will open June 7.
"Last year, we tried to open the pool on June 2, but then it rained and we had to postpone it anyway," Park Board President Ruthann Jefferies said. "This year, it's delayed because the ending of school is also delayed."
In addition, North Clay Middle School will have its annual Field day at Forest Park Tuesday, May 17.
There will be four stations, which will run 25 minutes each.
Students will have an opportunity to spend time in the park playing tennis, golf, disc golf and learn about the swimming pool.
"We just want the kids to spend some time in the park and see what the parks have to offer them during summer break," Jefferies said.
The field day rain date is May 24.
In other park news:
* A new sewer was installed at Wheeler Park,
* A timer has been installed on the lights of the tennis courts in response to patron complaints at Forest Park,
* The Noble Butler and Jamie Welbourne Memorial Tree is completed in the northeast corner of the inside of the walking track,
* The band shell canopy was removed in preparation for installing the larger new canopy. The new one hasn't been installed because of the rainy weather, and officials are waiting for conditions to dry up.
* John Day and Park Superintendent Bill Houck rewired the Cow Palace Pavilion concession stand. Board members thanked Day for his work because it saved a lot of money,
* The board is ordering three more rescue tubes for summer lifeguards,
* Board members reached a decision to leave the heat on in the Comfort Station,
* Clay Community Parks Association was granted permission to paint over the graffiti in the Zoo Building pole barn in Craig Park at no cost to the board,
* The local Rotary Club recognized the park board, Day and Houck for their participation and help during the annual fourth of July celebration last year,
* Work is continuing on security cameras in the parks.
The park board meets regularly on the second Tuesday of each month at Brazil City Hall.
Its next meeting is scheduled for 6:30 p.m., Tuesday, June 14.