[The Brazil Times nameplate] Fair ~ 50°F  
High: 67°F ~ Low: 50°F
Friday, Apr. 29, 2016

Governor requests federal assistance for Indiana counties

Thursday, June 9, 2011

INDIANAPOLIS -- Clay County is one of more than 30 Indiana counties Gov. Mitch Daniels has requested for federal public assistance following severe storms in April.

Daniels requested President Barack Obama provide the assistance to 34 counties and individual assistance to 11 more counties, mainly in the southern portion of the state. The request stems from damage sustained from severe weather, including flooding, tornadoes, and straight-line winds that began April 18.

Counties Daniels has requested public assistance for include Clay, Benton, Clark, Crawford, Daviess, Dearborn, Dubois, Floyd, Franklin, Gibson, Harrison, Jackson, Jefferson, Jennings, Knox, Lawrence, Martin, Monroe, Ohio, Orange, Parke, Perry, Pike, Posey, Putnam, Ripley, Scott, Spencer, Starke, Sullivan, Switzerland, Vanderburgh, Warrick and Washington.

If a disaster declaration for public assistance is granted, state and local governments and certain non-profit organizations in the designated counties would be eligible to apply for federal assistance to pay 75 percent of the approved cost of debris removal, emergency services related to the disaster and repairing or replacing damaged public facilities, such as roads, buildings and utilities.

Counties Daniels has requested individual assistance for include Decatur, Dubois, Gibson, Greene, Harrison, Lawrence, Monroe, Pike, Posey, Vanderburgh and Vigo.

Individual assistance can include grants for temporary housing and home repairs, low-cost loans to cover uninsured property losses and other programs to help individuals and business owners recover from the effects of the severe weather.

The request indicated that further damage may be identified and reserved the right to request assistance for additional counties.

The Indiana Department of Homeland Security encourages everyone who has not yet reported severe weather damage beginning April 18, and continuing (including damage from May 25 tornadoes) to report the damage at www.in.gov/dhs.

In the middle of the page under "Topics of the Day," click on "Report Damage Beginning April 18, 2011 and Continuing -- Wind and Flooding."

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: