[The Brazil Times nameplate] Partly Cloudy ~ 54°F  
High: 58°F ~ Low: 43°F
Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Putnam County offical faces charges

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

GREENCASTLE -- On the heels of a Class A misdemeanor charge in Putnam Superior Court last week, two felonies and another misdemeanor have been filed against a Putnam County official.

He is also facing unpaid leave in the wake of the charges.

Kim Hyten, 43, Fillmore, county planner and emergency management director, faces charges of Class D felony strangulation and criminal confinement and Class A misdemeanor interference with the reporting of a crime. He was charged last week with Class A misdemeanor domestic battery.

The charges spring from a May 28 incident involving Hyten and his wife.

The Putnam County Commissioners conducted a special meeting Thursday, June 23, regarding other matters, but county attorney Scott Hoff notified them the charges were pending.

The board discussed the matter briefly, deciding the time had come to act.

"I want him out of there," Commissioner Nancy Fogle said. "He needs to be put on administrative leave."

Fogle made the motion Hyten be put on leave without pay, but retaining his benefits.

"Let him keeps his benefits so he can get treatment," she said.

Kristina Warren seconded the motion and it passed, 2-0. Commissioner Gene Beck was not present at the meeting.

Hyten will remain on leave indefinitely.

Hyten's initial hearing is set for Aug. 16, at 10 a.m., in Putnam Superior Court. Clay County Prosecutor and Deputy Prosecutor, Lee Reberger and Kim Jackson, have been appointed special prosecutors in the case. Likewise, Clay Circuit Court Judge Joseph D. Trout assumed jurisdiction in the case.

Additionally, the Indiana State Police handled the investigation, as both parties are Putnam County employees.

In an ISP interview, Hyten's wife alleged that on May 28, her husband assaulted her several times, including throwing her off the porch, dragging her around by the foot, choking, shaking and eye gouging.

She also said Hyten held her against her will the following day, taking the home telephone away, as well as her phone and car keys.

The ISP interview did not take place until nine days after the alleged incident.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: