The festival will take place rain or shine. In the event of rain, the festival will take place in the former Family Y Building in Fairbanks Park.
Two of the bands, Marshall, Ill., and the Brazil Concert Band, have the distinction of being the oldest continuously operating community bands in Illinois and Indiana respectively.
The Brazil Concert Band traces its beginnings to 1858, when it played for one of the Lincoln-Douglas debates in Effingham, Ill.
The Brazil Silver Cornet Band enlisted as a whole into the Union Army when the war began. The BCB began its long tenure at Forest Park when the south side park was created in 1920. The band performs every Sunday from the first of June through August.
Matthew S. Huber is the music director for the band. The Brazil Concert Band will perform at 4 p.m., Saturday.
The Marshall City Band was established in 1875 and is the oldest continuously operating band in the state of Illinois.
The band was established by Professor L.A. Wallace and has since had only eight directors in its 136-year history.
The current director if Ralph Stewart. The Marshall City Band is an icon for the City of Marshall and performs concerts every Friday evening at 8 p.m., in the historic gazebo on the Clark County Courthouse lawn.
Joining the community bands in the celebration will be the 38th Infantry Division Band of the Indiana National Guard.
The 55-member unit is commanded by Chief Warrant Officer 2 Patrick L. Palumbo. The Community Band Festival is the last stop for the band on its tour of cities during the annual summer tour of duty.
The Greater Greenwood Community Band is dedicated to making a positive contribution to the musical environment in central Indiana. The band was founded in 1993 by Duane O'Niel, a local resident who wanted to play his instrument again after a long hiatus. The band performs a number of concerts during the summer months at the Surina Square Amphitheatre and also performs special concerts at other venues in the community throughout the year.
The Montgomery County Civic Band was formed in 1964 by Phillip G. Wright. The band originally was based on the model of a circus band as Wright's early teachers were retired circus musicians. The band performs a variety of musical styles at the Pattison Pavilion on the grounds of the historic Lane House in Crawfordsville, every other Sunday afternoon from June through July.
Paris, Ill., has had a long history of musical organizations since approximately 1866. The Paris City Band as it exists today was started by A. Austin Hardin in 1897 when he was a senior at Paris High School. Hardin eventually went on to direct the band at the University of Illinois. The band performs a seven-week season, starting the first Sunday in June at the Twin Lakes West Park Spicer Pavilion.
The Terre Haute Community Band, Inc., traces its origins back to the latter part of the 19th Century, when free public band concerts were popular across the country. Re-born in the 1980s as the Terre Haute Concert Band through the efforts of David McConkey, the band was restructured in 1999 as the Terre Haute Community Band, Inc. It performs concerts in Fairbanks Park during June, July and August.