With the number of summer days decreasing, students will soon be donning their backpacks and cracking open their textbooks for the 2011-12 school year.
The first student day of school for Clay Community Schools (CCS) is Tuesday, Aug. 16.
Teachers will return to work the day prior for orientation, and school principals are already starting back.
There will not be any half days this year because the state no longer allows half days to count as one of the required 180 school days.
Previously, teachers used the remainder of these half days to conduct parent-teacher conferences, but now teachers stay after school to meet with parents.
Currently, the school calendar indicates Tuesday, May 22, as the last day of school.
However, there is only one snow make-up day built into the school calendar, April 9.
If there is more than one snow day during the winter, school officials will add the number of days missed to the end of the school year.
For example, if school is canceled for two additional snow days, students will be required to attend until Thursday, May 24.
The following is a list of important dates for the 2011-12 school calendar:
* Sept. 5 -- School closed in observance of Labor Day,
* Oct. 17 and Feb. 20 -- Students are not required to attend school. However, teacher in-services are scheduled,
* Nov. 24 and 25 -- School is closed for Thanksgiving break,
* Dec. 21 -- Final day of the first semester,
* Dec. 22- Jan. 2 -- School is closed for Christmas break,
* Jan. 3 and May 23 -- Teacher workdays; students will not be in attendance,
* Jan. 4 -- CCS second semester begins,
* March 23 -- Last day of school before spring break,
* March 26-30 -- School is closed for spring break,
* April 2 -- School reconvenes after spring break,
* April 6 -- School is closed in observance of Good Friday,
* May 28 -- School is closed in observance of Memorial Day, if still in session as a result of additional snow days.
* Aug. 16- Sept. 23 -- First grading period (28 days),
* Sept. 26- Nov. 4- Second grading period (29 days),
* Nov. 7- Dec. 21 -- Third grading period (31 days),
* Jan. 4- Feb. 17 -- Fourth grading period (33 days),
* Feb. 21- Apr. 5 -- Fifth grading period (28 days) and
* Apr.10- May 22 -- Sixth and final grading period.
For more information on the CCS calendar contact central office at 443-4461.
Clay Community School phone contact information:
* Clay City Elementary- 812-939-3120
* Clay City Jr./Sr. High School- 812-939-2154
* Eastside Elementary- 448-8755
* Forest Park Elementary- 443-7621
* Jackson Township Elementary- 812-986-2177
* Meridian Elementary- 448-8560
* North Clay Middle School- 448-1530
* Northview High School- 448-2661
* Staunton Elementary- 448-8270
* Van Buren Elementary- 448-1362
* Cumberland Academy- 446-4120