[The Brazil Times nameplate] Fair ~ 64°F  
High: 68°F ~ Low: 54°F
Friday, Apr. 29, 2016

Firefighters battle evening fire

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

(Photo)
Dick Johnson Township Volunteer Fire Department member TJ Modesitt (on ladder) assists Van Buren Volunteer Firefighter Dan Mitton with looking for hot spots at a house fire Tuesday evening in Carbon. [Order this photo]
CARBON -- Faulty wiring may have caused a house fire Tuesday.

At approximately 7 p.m., firefighters with the Van Buren Volunteer Fire Department and Dick Johnson Township Volunteer Fire Department were dispatched to 14687 Locust St., Carbon, the home of Bobbi Lovett, for a possible fire.

Upon arrival, Van Buren Fire Chief Pete Taylor said firefighters witnessed thick smoke coming from the home.

However, within minutes, the fire was under control.

"There were some hot spots in the wall," Taylor said. "We had to cut through the roof to get to it."

After cutting through the roof, firefighters discovered a wiring issue. Taylor said the home was running two window air conditioning units and an overload in the wiring may have caused the fire.

Lovett was at work when she was called about the fire.

Firefighters were still at the scene close to 8 p.m., checking for more possible hot spots.


Comments
Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. If you feel that a comment is offensive, please Login or Create an account first, and then you will be able to flag a comment as objectionable. Please also note that those who post comments on thebraziltimes.com may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.

Good job VBFD! :)

-- Posted by FireWife27 on Thu, Aug 4, 2011, at 9:57 AM


Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: