Times Sports Editor
PUTNAMVILLE, Ind. -- Lincoln Park Speedway wrapped up its 2011 season with a bang on Saturday night with more than 140 total cars on hand to compete for the checkered flag in one of the eight features that were contested. A full set of features were scheduled for Saturday, however, there were also four make-up features from the previous week's rainout following the B-mains.
In the regularly scheduled sprint car feature of the night, Jeff Bland Jr. made up for losing the make-up feature due to some motor problems with a victory in the nightcap.
Bland was running away with the feature earlier in the night, but the Pottorff Logging-sponsored No. 38 was sidelined late, which opened the door for Wes McIntyre's second win at LPS this season.
There would be no such problems in the finale as Bland held off a mid-race challenge from Casey Shuman and pulled away after a re-start with five laps remaining to capture the checkered flag ahead of Shuman, Bub Cummings, Kent Christian and Dickie Gaines.
Bland started outside of row one alongside Cummings with Braylon Fitzpatrick and McIntyre in row two. However, once the feature went green, it was Bland building a big lead early before Shuman reeled him in and the two battled through lapped traffic. Shuman briefly snagged the lead on a bold move, but Bland quickly regained the point with seven laps remaining.
The final caution came out as Dakota Jackson slowed with five-to-go and on the re-start, Bland left no doubt as he pulled away to gain the win.
In the evening's UMP Modified feature, Broc Burton led from the start and came away with the victory over Justin Gregory and Richie Lex followed by Jamie Lomax and Clint DeMoss, who started ninth.
Burton also started on the front row and held off Gregory after a late re-start set the field back in tight formation.
In the UMP Super Stock division, Troy Clark has had designs on his first feature win at LPS this season after finishing second in the nation in UMP points. However, it wasn't until Saturday night that he was able to top a stout contingent of 31 drivers. Clark started fifth in the main event and moved into contention quickly along with Kenny Carmichael Jr. in a side-by-side fight for the lead. Doug McCullough ran in a pack that also included Steve Hollars and Kenny Carmichael Sr. before McCullough was forced out with a flat tire.
There were 45 bombers on hand looking for the victory on Saturday and it was Craig Walker earning his first feature win at LPS as he held off C.J. Bryan down the stretch as Lee Hobbs came home third followed by Nathan McNeese and Tim Wright.
In the make-up features, McIntyre scored the feature win as Jackson battled his way to a runner-up finish followed by Cummings, Christian and Gaines in the top-five.
In the UMP Modified feature, Paul Bumgardner finished the season strong by leading from the opening wave of the green flag to win back-to-back A-Main events. He held off Lomax, Gregory, Chris Brewer and Carlos Bumgardner Sr.
The UMP Super Stock opener went to Peeden, who won his fifth feature at Lincoln Park this season, edging Slick Griffin, Clark, Carmichael Sr. and Cullen Goodman.
The make-up bomber feature was captured by Landon Miller, who led Walker across the finish line followed by Bryan, Gib Ham Jr. and Harry Shepherd.
Lincoln Park Speedway
Sprint car feature (Oct. 1)
1. Jeff Bland Jr., 2. Casey Shuman, 3. Bub Cummings, 4. Kent Christian, 5. Dickie Gaines, 6. Ethan Barrow, 7. Wes McIntyre, 8. Jamie Frederickson, 9. Matt Goodnight, 10. Shawn Krockenberger, 11. J.T. Stapp, 12. Dakota Jackson, 13. Kody Swanson, 14. Jon Sciscoe, 15. Troy Link, 16. Patrick Giddens, 17. Rick Vaughn, 18. Josh Burton, 19. Braylon Fitzpatrick, 20. Josh Cunningham
B-main winner: Josh Burton
UMP Modified feature
1. Broc Burton, 2. Justin Gregory, 3. Richie Lex, 4. Jamie Lomax, 5. Clint DeMoss, 6. Paul Bumgardner, 7. Kenny Carmichael Sr., 8. Wes Leigh, 9. Wes McClara, 10. Jimmy Hayden, 11. Donald Kiger, 12. Lynn Johns, 13. Carlos Bumgardner, 14. Roger Mills, 15. Brian Hayden, 16. Chris Brewer, 17. Roger Cary, 18. Greg Amick, 19. Brad Barrow, 20. Daryl Herbert
B-main winner: Jimmy Hayden
UMP Super Stock feature
1. Troy Clark, 2. Kenny Carmichael Sr., 3. Steve Peeden, 4. Kenny Carmichael Jr., 5. Brad Cummings, 6. Bobby Davis, 7. Steve Hollars, 8. Kevin Allen, 9. Bobby Gardner, 10. Travis Heramb, 11. Paul Wright, 12. Kris Starks, 13. Tony Erdly, 14. Jeff Starks, 15. Chad Nolte, 16. Doug McCullough, 17. Cullen Goodman, 18. Chris Hillman, 19. Roy Bruce Jr., 20. Mike Staggs
B-main winner: Kris Starks
1. Craig Walker, 2. C.J. Bryan, 3. Lee Hobbs, 4. Nathan McNeese, 5. Tim Wright, 6. Ben Williams, 7. Daniel Foxworthy, 8. Josh Presley, 9. Randy Charley, 10. John Grenier Jr., 11. Jason Cox, 12. Blake Myers, 13. Don Grant, 14. Andy Herbert, 15. Tom Tidwell, 16. Scott Tidwell, 17. Stacey Ford, 18. David Wallen, 19. Chad Nolte, 20. Bryan Sharp
B-main winner: Daniel Foxworthy
Make-up features from Sept. 24
Sprint car feature
1. Wes McIntyre, 2. Dakota Jackson, 3. Bub Cummings, 4. Kent Christian, 5. Dickie Gaines, 6. Shawn Krockenberger, 7. Ethan Barrow, 8. J.T. Stapp, 9. Danny Holtsclaw, 10. Jeremy Giles, 11. Matt Goodnight, 12. Patrick Giddens, 13. Jeff Bland Jr., 14. Seth Parker, 15. Braylon Fitzpatrick, 16. Josh Burton, 17. Logan Jarrett, 18. Conner Donelson, 19. Troy Link, 20. Brady Short
B-main winner: Matt Goodnight
UMP Modified feature
1. Paul Bumgardner, 2. Jamie Lomax, 3. Justin Gregory, 4. Chris Brewer, 5. Carlos Bumgardner Sr., 6. Jimmy Hayden, 7. Kenny Carmichael Sr., 8. Roger Mills, 9. Lynn Johns, 10. Jim Moore, 11. Jacob Houts, 12. Brian Hayden, 13. Dale Hayes, 14. Shane Kelley, 15. Aaron Zellers, 16. John Grenier Jr., 17. Donald Kiger, 18. Daryl Herbert, 29. Rodney Harris Jr., 20. Wes McClara, 21. Brent Gregory
B-main winner: Lynn Johns
UMP Super Stock feature
1. Steve Peeden, 2. Slick Griffin, 3. Troy Clark, 4. Kenny Carmichael Sr., 5. Cullen Goodman, 6. Doug McCullough, 7. Mike Staggs, 8. Bobby Gardner, 9. Justin Davis, 10. Steve Smiley, 11. Bill Wells, 12. Paul Wright, 13. Kris Starks, 14. Don Duncan, 15. Jeff Starks, 16. Raymond Crone, 17. Travis Heramb, 18. Steve Hollars, 19. Brett Smedley, 20. Roy Bruce Jr.
B-main winnr: Don Duncan
1. Landon Miller, 2. Craig Walker, 3. C.J. Bryan, 4. Gib Ham Jr., 5. Harry Shepherd, 6. Scott Tidwell, 7. Daniel Foxworthy, 8. Josh Presley, 9. Tim Wright, 10. Ben Williams, 11. Will McRoberts, 12. David Wallen, 13. Kevin Kemp, 14. Ron Smith, 15. Christian York, 16. JR Watkins, 17. David Bumgardner, 18. Jeff Shepherd, 19. Lee Hobbs, 20. Kenny Treash, 21. Jason Cox, 22. Jeff Cast, 23. Tom Cox, 24. Corey Gregory, 25. Josh Foxworthy
B-main winners: Ron Smith, Josh Foxworthy