[The Brazil Times nameplate] Fair ~ 43°F  
High: 72°F ~ Low: 49°F
Friday, May 6, 2016

Reelsville man shot, killed by police

Monday, January 16, 2012

REELSVILLE -- A fatal police-action shooting that occurred Sunday evening remains under investigation by Indiana State Police detectives and crime scene investigators from the Putnamville Post.

William E. Williams, 38, Reelsville, was fatally wounded by officers in an incident that unfolded about 7:30 p.m., Sunday, at his home, 11152 S. CR 300 West.

Williams was reportedly shot as he aggressively attacked police with two large butcher-type knives, one in each hand, Indiana State Police Public Information Officer Sgt. Joe Watts said.

An autopsy was performed Sunday afternoon at Terre Haute Regional Hospital by Pathologist Dr. Roland Kohr. Putnam County Coroner Thomas Miller has listed the cause of death as two gunshot wounds to Williams' upper torso.

The victim sustained a total of four gunshot wounds, authorities said.

The five original officers at the scene were Indiana State Police Trooper Brian Thomas, Indiana Conservation Officers Patrick Labhart and Chris Springstone, Putnam County Sheriff's Deputy (and Cloverdale Police Chief) Jon Chadd and Cloverdale Police Officer Charles Hallam.

Deputy Chadd and Officer Hallam were the officers who initially deployed "taser" electronic control devices in an attempt to subdue Williams.

Officers who discharged their firearms at the suspect were Trooper Thomas, Conservation Officer Labhart and CPD Officer Hallam.

"The investigation is ongoing," Sgt. Watts added, "and the number of rounds fired by each officer is undisclosed at this time. However, they are minimal in number."

A preliminary investigation revealed officers were called to the rural residence because of a reported domestic disturbance. Entering the home, they found Williams locked inside the master bathroom.

Authorities were able to determine Williams appeared to be harming himself with a knife, Sgt. Watts said, and subsequently unlocked the bathroom door. At that moment the suspect reportedly lunged at officers with a large knife in each hand.

The "taser" devices striking the suspect failed to stop him and Williams reportedly continued to aggressively advance on the officers and was able to force one of the officers to the ground.

At that point, three of the officers discharged their firearms, striking the suspect. Williams was pronounced dead at the scene by Coroner Miller. Toxicology results are pending on Williams, authorities said.

No other information will be released, Watts said, as to protect the integrity of the investigation and until a final review by the Putnam County Prosecutor's Office.

Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. If you feel that a comment is offensive, please Login or Create an account first, and then you will be able to flag a comment as objectionable. Please also note that those who post comments on thebraziltimes.com may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.

Bill was a good guy, rest in peace buddy! You will be missed by so many!

-- Posted by ibclean76@yahoo.com on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 2:16 AM

A most unfortunate incident. My prayers to ALL involved.

-- Posted by Proud of My Country on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 2:23 PM

Law enforcement's job is hard enough. While I am sure this man's family and friends are saddened and angry, the officers had to protect themselves.

-- Posted by Oldtown on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 2:54 PM

Rest In Peace, Bill. You didn't deserve to die this way. You were a good guy, and will be sadly missed.

-- Posted by eddieh on Wed, Jan 18, 2012, at 8:52 AM

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: