INDIANAPOLIS -- To commemorate the legacy and history of the old St. Vincent Hospital, which is now Ivy Tech Community College's newest academic building on the Indianapolis campus, the college has launched a website to collect stories and memories from the public.
The website, accessible at www.ivytech.edu/stvincent, also displays old photographs and fun facts about the historic building and its relevance to the city of Indianapolis.
The building and property has recently been transformed into the Illinois-Fall Creek Center, Ivy Tech's newest academic building and houses classrooms, labs, study rooms, a community gathering space and campus café.
The college will celebrate the grand opening of the new state-of-the-art facility with two public events.
A formal ribbon cutting will take place at 9 a.m., Friday, Jan. 20, followed by a Friends and Family Community Day to take place from 11 a.m.-2 p.m., Saturday, Jan. 21.
Both events will take pace at the new building, located at 2534 N. Illinois St., Indianapolis, and are free and open to the public. The former St. Vincent Hospital building, located at Fall Creek Parkway North Drive and Illinois Street, was constructed beginning in 1909 and served as St. Vincent Hospital from 1913-74.
It was renovated in the mid-70s into 296 housing units for the elderly, disabled and low-income individuals known as the Weyerbacher Terrace Apartments. It was closed in 2003 and taken over by the federal government.
The City of Indianapolis acquired the property in 2004 and it was acquired by Ivy Tech Community College in 2006. The north wing of the building and adjacent structures, not original to the main structure, were removed in 2007. Ivy Tech began construction on the building in 2010.