As of Monday, Jan. 23, 10 community members had officially filed for candidacy for the 2012 election.
According to Clay County Election Office Deputy Clerk Jason Jacobs, those filing for candidacy include:
* Vickie Wheeler for Clerk of Circuit Court and Precinct Committeeman, Posey 1,
* Charlie Brown for Clay County Commissioners, District 2,
* Jack Withers for Clay County Commissioners, District 1,
* Joe Dierdorf for Clay County Recorder,
* Mike McCullough for Clay County Council, At-Large,
* Bill Lovett for Clay County Council, At-Large,
* John Keller for Surveyor,
* Paul Sinders for State Convention Delegate and Precinct Committeeman, Harrison 2,
* Mary Brown for Precinct Committeeman, Sugar Ridge, and
* Betty Clerk for State Convention Delegate and Precinct Committeeman, Brazil 4.
Candidates have until noon, Friday, Feb. 10, to file candidacy. Candidates have until noon, Monday, Feb. 13, to withdraw their names.
Those wishing to run for county office must register at the Clay County Election Office, located on the second floor of the Clay County Courthouse. The office is open Monday-Friday, from 8 a.m.-noon, and 1-4p.m.
Other county offices up for election in 2012 include: Clay County Superior Court Judge (six-year term), Clay County Circuit Court Judge (six-year term), Coroner, Clay County Council (At-Large, three positions), Clay Community School Board (districts 1, 2, 3 and 4), as well as convention delegates (nine each for Republican and Democrat) and precinct committeemen (23, Republican only).
The new candidate filings will be posted on the Clay County website each Friday afternoon until the end of the candidate filing period. To view the filings, visit www.claycountyin.gov/.