[The Brazil Times nameplate] Overcast ~ 53°F  
High: 58°F ~ Low: 47°F
Monday, May 2, 2016

FSA issues PTPP reminder

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Julia Wickard
INDIANAPOLIS -- USDA Farm Service Agency (FSA) in Indiana Executive Director Julia A. Wickard recently announced the Planting Transferability Pilot Project (PTPP) permits Indiana producers to plant approved vegetables for processing on base acres under the Direct and Counter-Cyclical Program (DCP) or Average Crop Revenue Election Program (ACRE).

Eligible producers have until March 1, 2012, to sign up for the PTPP program. USDA will not accept late filed applications.

"PTPP offers producers the opportunity to diversify their crop production and better use their base acres," Wickard said. "This project supports Indiana farmers with additional sources of revenue and the production of healthy fruits and vegetables.

"The Indiana FSA staff works daily to provide this and other programs to eligible producers. The deadline is approaching and we encourage producers to visit their local offices to sign up for the PTPP, as well as the other farm safety net programs."

PTPP allows producers to plant approved fruits or vegetables for processing on a farm's base acres.

Approved plantings include cucumbers, green peas, lima beans, pumpkins, snap beans, sweet corn or tomatoes.

Without the PTPP, planting of these crops on base acres would be prohibited.

Base acres on a farm will be temporarily reduced each year on an acre-for-acre basis, for each base acre planted with an approved fruit or vegetable on that farm.

Indiana has 9,000 acres approved for PTPP in 2012.

Eligible participants must agree to produce one of the approved crops for processing and provide the county FSA office with a copy of the contract between the producers and processing plant.

Participants must agree to produce the crop as part of a program of crop rotation on the farm to achieve agronomic pest and disease management benefits, and to provide disposition evidence of the crop.

Participants must complete form CCC-749, which is available at FSA county offices, or online at http://www.fsa.usda.gov and file it with their county FSA office.

For more information on PTPP or other farm programs, visit the local FSA county office or the Farm Service Agency website at http://www.fsa.usda.gov.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: