[The Brazil Times nameplate] Fair ~ 70°F  
High: 74°F ~ Low: 49°F
Friday, May 6, 2016

Clay City home believed total loss following fire

Thursday, March 15, 2012

CLAY CITY -- If it weren't for their dogs, a Clay City family may not have made it out of a house fire early Thursday morning.

At approximately 2 a.m., officials were dispatched to the home of John and Nadine Tiefel, 622 E. CR 650 S., Clay City, for a house fire.

"Their dogs woke them up or they wouldn't have gotten out of there," Clay City Fire Chief Ron Travis told The Brazil Times.

According to Travis, son Terry, who lives adjacent to the Tiefel house, helped John and Nadine Tiefel out of their home.

"When they got up, there was smoke in the house," Travis said.

Travis said the fire was already heading through the roof of the home when his department arrived.

He added the ceiling of the home collapsed later as firefighters battled the blaze, making it difficult to put out.

As of 12:30 p.m., Thursday, firefighters were still at the scene dealing with hot spots. Firefighters were called back to the scene at approximately 7:30 p.m., Thursday.

Travis said no one was injured, but some of the family dogs had been taken to a veterinarian.

Travis estimated the home was a total loss and believed the fire may have started due to electrical issues.

Other agencies responding to the scene included the Lewis Township Volunteer Fire/Rescue, Perry Township/Cory Volunteer Fire Department, Center Point Volunteer Fire Department and TransCare.


Comments
Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. If you feel that a comment is offensive, please Login or Create an account first, and then you will be able to flag a comment as objectionable. Please also note that those who post comments on thebraziltimes.com may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.

Thank God for doggies......prayers for all involved and I hope the doggies will be alright.

-- Posted by Proud of My Country on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 11:08 AM


Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: