CLAY CITY -- If it weren't for their dogs, a Clay City family may not have made it out of a house fire early Thursday morning.
At approximately 2 a.m., officials were dispatched to the home of John and Nadine Tiefel, 622 E. CR 650 S., Clay City, for a house fire.
"Their dogs woke them up or they wouldn't have gotten out of there," Clay City Fire Chief Ron Travis told The Brazil Times.
According to Travis, son Terry, who lives adjacent to the Tiefel house, helped John and Nadine Tiefel out of their home.
"When they got up, there was smoke in the house," Travis said.
Travis said the fire was already heading through the roof of the home when his department arrived.
He added the ceiling of the home collapsed later as firefighters battled the blaze, making it difficult to put out.
As of 12:30 p.m., Thursday, firefighters were still at the scene dealing with hot spots. Firefighters were called back to the scene at approximately 7:30 p.m., Thursday.
Travis said no one was injured, but some of the family dogs had been taken to a veterinarian.
Travis estimated the home was a total loss and believed the fire may have started due to electrical issues.
Other agencies responding to the scene included the Lewis Township Volunteer Fire/Rescue, Perry Township/Cory Volunteer Fire Department, Center Point Volunteer Fire Department and TransCare.