The following is a list of upcoming area events as provided to The Brazil Times:
Brazil City Hall will be closed Friday, April 6, in observance of Good Friday.
For more information, call 443-2221.
In addition, The Clay County Commissioners have announced the Clay County Courthouse, Highway Department, Health Department and the Soil and Water Conservation Offices will be closed as well.
All offices will re-open Monday, April 9, for normal business hours.
The Clay County Election Office recently announced the following dates for early voting hours, which will take place in the Election Office, located on the second floor of the Clay County Courthouse:
* April 9-May 4 (Monday-Friday) -- 8-11 a.m., noon-4 p.m.,
* Saturday, April 28 -- 9 a.m.-4 p.m.,
* Saturday, May 5 -- 9 a.m.-4 p.m., and
* Monday, May 7 -- 8 a.m.-noon.
The Brazil City Fire Department is currently accepting applications for the position of firefighter.
Application packets may be picked up at the fire department from 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday.
All completed applications must be turned into the office of the Fire Chief no later than 5 p.m., April 27.
Applicants must be 18-yers-old and less than 36-years-old, and have a high school diploma or proof of a G.E.D. equivalent, a valid driver's license and the ability to pass the agility, aptitude, physical and mental testing requirements.
Officials with the City of Brazil are asking all to remove all winter decorations from Cottage Hill, Restlawn and other cemeteries by Friday, April 6.
For more information, call 443-2221.
The Brazil Lions Club is currently accepting used eyeglasses and hearing aids for donations through a recycling program.
Donation boxes have been set up at Terre Haute Savings Bank, 260 E. National Ave., Brazil, or The Brazil Times, 100 N. Meridian St., Brazil.
For further information, call 448-3100.
The Clay County Local Emergency Planning Committee will conduct its regular 2012 meetings prior to the Clay County Fire Chief's Association at 6 p.m., with the chief's meetings at 7 p.m., during the following dates:
* May 15 -- At the Dick Johnson Fire House,
* Aug. 21 -- At the Van Buren Fire House, and
* Nov. 20 -- At the Posey Township Fire House.
On Thursday, April 5, a Cornhole Tournament and Bake Sale will take place at Northview High School to benefit the NHS Post Prom.
Cost is $15 per team and the event begins at 6 p.m.
The plan is, weather permitting, for the event to take place in the parking lot.
Members of First Christian Church, 1875 W. United States 40, Brazil, will present "The Promise," Friday, April 6, Saturday, April 7, and Sunday, April 8.
Showtimes are 7 p.m., April 6 and April 7, and 6 p.m., April 8.
Easter Egg Hunt
The American Legion Post 2 will conduct its annual Easter Egg Hunt Saturday, April 7, at 1 p.m., at Forest Park.
The event will be hosted by the American Legion Riders.
In the event of inclement weather, the hunt will take place at the Brazil National Guard Armory.
National Library Week
The Brazil Public Library will celebrate National Library Week April 9-13.
The following are a list of items and events taking place:
* Monday, April 9 -- "Pop" into the library and get a free bag of popcorn,
* Tuesday, April 10 -- You were "Mint" to be library patrons. Free mints for patrons, 6:30 p.m. Author Mike Lunsford will also conduct a book signing,
* Wednesday, April 11 -- Amnesty day, if patrons have a fine accrued in 2012, $5 will be forgiven off the fines/fees. Also at 6:30 p.m., author Ivy Jacobs will conduct a book signing,
* Thursday, April 12 -- Patron Appreciation -- punch and cookies will be served for library patrons. At 6:30 p.m., author Jan Tilley will conduct a book signing, and
* Friday, April 13 -- Bring in a grocery bag of gently used books for the Friends of the Library and patrons will receive two free DVD rentals.
The Clay County Board of Health will conduct its quarterly meeting Monday, April 9, at noon.
The meeting will take place in the conference room located in the lower level of the Medical Office Building, 1214 E. National Ave., Brazil.
The following are dates for the annual Clay Community Schools Kindergarten Roundup:
* April 10 -- East Side Elementary, 6 p.m.,
* April 11 -- Forest Park Elementary, 1 p.m.,
* April 12 -- Jackson Township Elementary, 8:30 a.m.,
* April 13 -- Clay City Elementary, 8:45 a.m.,
* April 17 -- Meridian Elementary, 6:30 p.m.,
* April 18 -- Van Buren Elementary, 6 p.m., and
* April 19 -- Staunton Elementary, 9 a.m.
For further information, call Kathy Knust at 443-4461 or e-mail email@example.com.
The Teens for Liberty Club will host a debate for House Representative District 42 candidates Tuesday, April 10, at 7:30 p.m.
The event will take place at the YMCA of Clay County, 225 E. Kruzan St., Brazil.
The event is open to the public, and there is no admission.
Board Schedules Meeting
The Brazil Board of Public Works and Safety will conduct a meeting at 10 a.m., Wednesday, April 11, in Brazil City Hall Council Chambers. General business will be discussed and the public is welcome to attend.
Council To Meet
The Brazil Common Council will conduct its monthly meeting at 7 p.m., Wednesday, April 11, in Brazil City Hall Council Chambers.
General business will be discussed and the public is welcome to attend.
Heavy Trash Pickup
The City of Brazil Sanitation Department has announced its heavy trash pickup for the month of April.
The department has scheduled the following for pickup:
* April 13 -- For the regular Monday route,
* April 20 -- For the regular Tuesday route, and
* April 27 -- For the regular Wednesday and Thursday route.
The department stated it will not pick up batteries, roofing, siding, tires, building materials, televisions or computers.
For further information, call 448-8501.