Indianapolis -- Julia A. Wickard, state executive director of USDA's Farm Service Agency (FSA), reminds producers that the 2012 deadline to enroll in the Direct and Counter-Cyclical Payment (DCP) program is June 1.
"The busy planting season is upon us, but so will be the DCP deadline, said Wickard. "Enrollments cannot be accepted after the June 1 deadline, so producers should schedule a visit to the local FSA office soon in order to not miss the important deadline."
DCP provides payments to eligible producers on farms enrolled for any of the 2008 through 2012 crop years.
There are two types of DCP payments: direct payments and counter-cyclical payments.
Both are calculated using the base acres and payment yields established for the farm.
DCP is authorized by the Food, Conservation and Energy Act of 2008 (2008 Farm Bill).
In addition to DCP, other FSA programs also have enrollment deadlines approaching:
* Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP): Check with your local FSA office for dates,
* Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) General Sign-up 43 -- April 13,
* Average Crop Revenue Election (ACRE) -- June 1,
* Supplemental Revenue Assistance Payment Program (SURE) -- June 1, 2012 for crop year 2010,
* 2011 ACRE Production Evidence -- July 15,
* Certification of Planted Acres -- Various deadlines, but no later than July 15,
* Farm Reconstitutions (changes) -- August 1, 2012 for the 2012 crop year,
* Milk Income Loss Contract Program (MILC) -- September 30, 2012, and
* Crop Insurance -- Contact a crop insurance agent or the regional RMA office.
For more information on these and other FSA programs, contact a local FSA service center or visit the FSA website at www.fsa.usda.gov.