The Presbyterian Church has had a presence in Brazil since 1858, when the first church building was established on the corner of Jackson and Walnut. The next location at Jackson and Franklin burned in 1871, during Sunday School no less. The congregation then built a church at Franklin and McDonald.
By 1923 that bulding was considered unsafe for use and the present building at Walnut and Rev. Dan Biggs was completed in 1924. Over the years the church was enlarged with Sunday School rooms and a chapel, as well as fellowship hall and a corridor connecting the two buildings being built. The last large remodeling had occurred in 1965. When it became apparent that a large scale renovation was necessary it was decided to restore the Sanctuary to its 1924 appearance. With this in mind, the carpet and pew pads were replaced, the interior painted with the buttresses again being painted to enhance them, the pews and chancel wood were renovated and the cross behind the Chancel was replaced to better represent this time period.
This Sunday, April 15, 2012, during the 10:30 a.m., worship service, the church will rededicate the Sanctuary. Special guests will be some of the artisans who lent their talents to this project.
Also on Sunday, the choir will meet at 9 a.m., an the Adult Bible Study will meet at 9:30 a.m. The text for Sunday School is John 20:19-31, Jesus appears to His Disciples.
At 6 p.m., we will hold a "Movie Night," in the fellowship hall. We will be viewing the film "Courageous." The movie invites us to consider what we can do to lead and guide future generations. We invite paricipants to bring desserts to share. Beverages will be provided.
The Rev. Gary Scroggins and the entire congregation invite the community to join us. For more information, contact the church office at 446-2415, or visit us at www.brazilpresbyterian.org.
The church is located at 210 N. Walnut St.