[The Brazil Times nameplate] Mostly Cloudy ~ 62°F  
High: 64°F ~ Low: 41°F
Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Three injured in house fire

Friday, April 27, 2012

(Photo)
Members of the Brazil Fire Department and Brazil Police Department look over a house, which caught on fire early Friday. [Order this photo]
Three people were taken to St. Vincent Clay Hospital Friday morning following a house fire.

At approximately 10:05 a.m., members of the Brazil Fire Department (BFD) were dispatched to 503 W. Kruzan St., Brazil, for the fire.

Upon arrival, BFD Fire Chief Jake Bennett said the upper floor of the home was fully engulfed in flames.

"One room in the second floor fell through," Bennett said, adding a man sleeping in a room on the second floor could not get downstairs so he had to climb out a window onto the roof of an enclosed porch.

Bennett said when emergency personnel arrived, people who lived in the home were still attempting to get some animals out of the house. At the time of the fire, there were seven adults and three children in the home. According to homeowner Sherry Ferrell, a total of seven adults and seven children live in the two-story home.

Three pets died in the fire. Members from the Clay County Humane Society came to retrieve the deceased animals.

"They tried to get back inside to get those pets," Bennett said.

Ferrell said she purchased the home a couple of years ago for her daughter and son-in-law, Tresa and Carl Flake.

Carl, 29, was one of the persons taken to St. Vincent Clay. Bennett said he suffered from respiratory problems and significant burns.

In addition, Denise Moore, 50, Brazil, was also taken to St. Vincent Clay for respiratory problems and burns.

The third injured adult, James Burk, 28, Brazil, was also taken to St. Vincent Clay for respiratory problems and burns. However, he was flown via AirEvac to Wishard Hospital, Indianapolis.

Bennett said none of the children in the home were injured.

Bennett said a firefighter was injured during the fire as well.

The firefighter -- whom Bennett would not identify -- fell from the second floor to the first during a structural collapse, and suffered a possible minor knee sprain. The firefighter was taken to St. Vincent Clay.

Emergency personnel left the scene at approximately 12:30 p.m. However, Bennett said the fire department would periodically check the home for hot spots throughout the day.

Officials from the American Red Cross Wabash Valley Chapter also provided the people living in the home with immediate assistance, including money for clothes, food, shoes and one night in a hotel room.

However, it was determined the people living in the home may have lost a significant amount of possessions.

Bennett said officials could not determine a cause for the fire at this time.

Other agencies responding to the scene included The Brazil Police Department, TransCare, Care Ambulance and Clay County Search and Rescue.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: