[The Brazil Times nameplate] Overcast ~ 56°F  
High: 64°F ~ Low: 57°F
Saturday, Apr. 30, 2016

Common nuisance wildlife

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Jenna Smith
Last week, we discussed some of the basic ways you can control nuisance wildlife. This week, I want to discuss some specific wildlife that we commonly have issues with throughout the year.

Chipmunks are a minor nuisance. However, they can gnaw on the lower edges of garage and shed doors and damage a landscape. Where possible, calk openings and use hardware cloth to protect buildings. You should also use hardware cloth around flower beds. If you feed birds, you might want to consider moving the bird feeder at least 15-30 feet away from the house to modify the chipmunks' habitat. If you would decide to use a live trap, you can bait the trap with peanut butter mixed with raisin bran.

Squirrels can be controlled by using a two-foot wide metal band on a pole or tree to prevent them from climbing up them. However, the metal band must be completely smooth. A similar device can be added to prevent them from eating bird feed. To prevent the squirrel (and other animals) from getting into your house, you should trim trees back eight feet from the roof. If you would decide to trap a squirrel, you need to obtain a permit from the DNR.

If you would end up with a chipmunk or a squirrel in your attic, you should try using a one way exit out of hardware cloth or screening to prevent them from coming back in.

You will make a funnel with the hardware cloth and attach the large end to the opening in the house. The small end should only be about 1 inches in diameter (smaller for a chipmunk) and be away from the house. Once the animal has exited, remove the funnel and seal the hole permanently.

A temporary solution to raccoons would be to use lights and radios to frighten them away. If you would want to modify their habitat so they will leave then you need to remove all food sources including livestock and pet feed. You can try to exclude them from an area by placing two electric wires around a location three to six inches off the ground. If you have problems with them in the house, then you need to contact a professional to remove them and then place a chimney cap on your house.

Skunks are not considered a protected furbearer, so shooting is legal if they are interfering with property. However, you are required to report the shooting to your conservation officer. If you would like to exclude them from the area, then place a fence around it that is at least three feet high and with holes smaller than 2 inches will prevent them from entering the area.

As always, if you have any questions or would like information on any agriculture, horticulture or natural resource topic, then please contact your local Purdue Extension Office at 448-9041 in Clay Co. or 829-5020 in Owen Co. or reach me directly at smith535@purdue.edu. Purdue is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action institution.

Upcoming opportunities available to you through Purdue Extension include:

*May 28--Extension Office Closed,

* June 4--Owen County Extension Board Meeting, Owen Co. Extension Office,

* June 10-14--Owen County 4-H Horse Camp,

* June 16--Open Horse Pleasure Show at the Owen Co. Fairgrounds,

* June 17-19--4-H Camp, and

* June 19--Pond Management, Owen Co. 4-H Exhibit Hall, 6:30-8:00 p.m.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: