The organization will conduct "A Day of Action 2012," Friday, June 15, throughout its service area.
In Clay County, the Clay County Senior Citizen's Center, 120 S. Franklin St., Brazil, is on the target list.
United Way Chair for Clay County Kathy Deal said 10 volunteers would be needed to help.
"We are asking for volunteers to come and work between 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., and the jobs are required to paint the dining room and the outside trim of the building. And shampoo the carpets."
Deal said all painting materials and carpet cleaning materials would be available.
Deal, who was asked to become the Clay County Chair for the United Way in May, also serves on its Board of Directors. She was asked to take the position by United Way of the Wabash Valley Campaign Chair Claudia Tanoos.
"I've always given to (United Way)," Deal said. "And I believe very strongly in community involvement."
Deal said there are several projects scheduled for the day, including work at:
* Bright Hope Riders of the Wabash Valley, 6010 E. Devonald Ave., Terre Haute,
* Boy Scouts, Crossroads Council, 501 S. 25th St., Terre Haute,
* Catholic Charities of Terre Haute, Ryves Youth Center, 1356 Locust St., Terre Haute,
* Dobbs Park, 5170 E. Poplar Dr., Terre Haute,
* Families By Choice, 2808 S. 11 ½ St., Terre Haute (Women's Shelter),
* FSA Counseling, 619 Cherry St., Terre Haute,
* Happiness Bag, 3833 Union Rd., Terre Haute,
* Humane Society of Sullivan County, 2425 N. Section St., Sullivan,
* ISU Community Gardens, 217 N. 11th St., Terre Haute,
* Lighthouse Mission (Conner Center), 3212 E. Linn Ave., Terre Haute,
* Kid Kare Project, Inc., 301 Blackman St., Clinton,
* Parke-Vermillion County Humane Society, 1884 S. State Road 63, Hillsdale,
* Sisters of Providence, 1 Sisters of Providence, Saint Mary-of-the-Woods,
* Sisters of Providence (3), 1 Sisters of Providence, Saint Mary-of-the-Woods,
* St. Ann Community Outreach Services, 1440 Locust St., Terre Haute,
* Terre Haute Catholic Charities Foodbank, 1356 Locust St., Terre Haute,
* Terre Haute Children's Museum, 727 Wabash Ave., Terre Haute,
* Terre Haute Humane Society, 1811 S. Fruitridge Ave., Terre Haute,
* United Cerebral Palsy, 621 Poplar St., Terre Haute,
* United Child Care, 2051 Beech St., Terre Haute,
* Valley Child Development Center, 325 Blackman St., Clinton,
* Vigo County Historical Society, 1411 S. 6th St., Terre Haute,
* Vigo County Public Library, 1 Library Square, Terre Haute, and
* The Vigo County YMCA, 1 Library Square, Terre Haute.
"It's really kind of impressive," she said. "I think we're always looking for ways to support local communities, and all the local dollars that are raised go back to the local communities. United Way is trying to reach out to several community organizations that need a little help.
"There are so many projects in different communities they are working on. We have several projects going on."
Anyone wishing to volunteer at the Clay County event Friday should contact Deal at 448-1992.
United Way of the Wabash Valley "Day of Action 2012" coordinator Mark Johnson said there are approximately 100 volunteers spots still open throughout the six-county area.